Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Steering Wheel Removal Trouble

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jsteele1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Steering Wheel Removal Trouble

Hey guys im having some trouble with my 05 civic coupe. The steering wheel that came when the car when I bought it was stock but has major signs of use so i wanted to swap it out which seemed simple enough. But when I went to remove the Torx screw on each side it felt like wouldnt budge and when i turn it, all it does is make the horn blast and the screw isnt getting looser. Please tell me what Im doing wrong. thanks!
Old 08-23-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of
Re: Steering Wheel Removal Trouble

First of all, you need to disconnect the negative battery cable and wait AT LEAST 3 minutes before beginning work. Otherwise you'll blow the airbag. Secondly, hit the torx with some penetrating oil and wait a little while before beginning work to allow the oil to soak in.
Old 10-14-2011
Registered!!

Seby05 has a spectacular aura aboutSeby05 has a spectacular aura aboutSeby05 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by lazlong
First of all, you need to disconnect the negative battery cable and wait AT LEAST 3 minutes before beginning work. Otherwise you'll blow the airbag. Secondly, hit the torx with some penetrating oil and wait a little while before beginning work to allow the oil to soak in.
Dude, I just did that also, the one torx on the left came out with no trouble, but the right one stripped
I went to home depot and got this e-z out type thing, and I'm in the process of drilling it out now. It just got dark outside and I gave up for the night, so I'll continue tomorow. I pray that it'll work cuz I just got this new steering wheel from a member on this forum, and i can't wait to swap it out

But to answer your question, like lazlong said, disconnect the battery cable and the horn won't sound anymore. Good luck taking the screws out, obviously I didnt have much of it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-10-14 20.48.56.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	81912  
Old 10-14-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Seby05
I pray that it'll work cuz I just got this new steering wheel from a member on this forum, and i can't wait to swap it out
I saw you bumped his thread and mentioned the steering wheel had just arrived, was expecting a thread or a comment like this later. Steering wheel swaps never seem to go well on our cars for some reason.. Good luck with the ez outs, be very careful not to break one off because then you are truly in trouble.

A lot of people have trouble getting steering wheels off, so it's a good idea to pick up a steering wheel puller using one of those deposit-rental programs at a parts store. Just a tip.

ps. steering wheel swap would make a great diy if you're up for it.
Old 10-14-2011
Registered!!

Seby05 has a spectacular aura aboutSeby05 has a spectacular aura aboutSeby05 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by MindBomber
I saw you bumped his thread and mentioned the steering wheel had just arrived, was expecting a thread or a comment like this later. Steering wheel swaps never seem to go well on our cars for some reason.. Good luck with the ez outs, be very careful not to break one off because then you are truly in trouble.

A lot of people have trouble getting steering wheels off, so it's a good idea to pick up a steering wheel puller using one of those deposit-rental programs at a parts store. Just a tip.

yeah I know, I'm kind of stressing lol, but if I don't manage to take the screw off, some shop around my house will.... at least I hope so lol. But yeah, I'm down to do a DIY, although I have a stock steering wheel, so it'll be just a simple replacement. One thing I have to figure out is how to post the pics after each paragraph, and not in thumbnails

The screw I'm having trouble with is the torx screw on the right side that holds the airbag, so we'll see how it goes tomorrow lol

Last edited by Seby05; 10-14-2011 at 11:40 PM. Reason: explain the bolt I have trouble with
Old 10-14-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

To post a picture in text it needs to be hosted on another site, like photobucket.

Make an account there, upload the photo, then select the copy and paste the image code into the text, you'll see the photo where the codes been pasted.
Old 10-14-2011
Registered!!

To post a picture in text it needs to be hosted on another site, like photobucket.

Make an account there, upload the photo, then select the copy and paste the image code into the text, you'll see the photo where the codes been pasted.

Oh ok, sounds good, will do
Old 10-15-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Granted, I've only used it 3 times in as many years but, this puller worked flawlessly: http://www.harborfreight.com/46-piec...set-37824.html
Old 10-15-2011
Registered!!

Ok, swap is done, tons of pics, so diy on the way, as soon as my sister takes her exam, cuz she needs the laptop