Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Valve lash spec?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2011
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
johndeerebones is a jewel in the roughjohndeerebones is a jewel in the roughjohndeerebones is a jewel in the rough
Valve lash spec?

Wondering what you all say for a spec.

I have a 2001 EX with the d17a2

I have read on here .007" and .009"

Have seen different numbers at other places on the net. Anyway gonna adjust it in the morning before I go anywhere. I put a head gasket, t belt, water pump, etc on it a few months ago. I've only had it a few thousand miles. My sister had it before that, so I doubt that it has ever had the valves adjusted and it has 145000 mi on it. The mileage is not bad 32 or so, but mainly want to see if I can squeak a few more out of it, she says it got 38 highway when it was new, obviously it isn't new now, but more would be nice. What you do guys say for specs?
Old 08-14-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of
Re: Valve lash spec?

Name:  valvelashmeasurments.jpg
Views: 10572
Size:  34.1 KB
Old 08-14-2011
Registered!!

johndeerebones is a jewel in the roughjohndeerebones is a jewel in the roughjohndeerebones is a jewel in the rough

so 8 and 10 by the book puts it right in the middle!

Don't want to go to the bottom of the specs, tighter is what they do as the wear into the seats..
Old 08-14-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

it should also say on your under-hood emissions sticker.
Old 08-14-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by gearbox
it should also say on your under-hood emissions sticker.
If it's still there. See also the "You know you own a 7th gen..." thread. lol
Old 08-14-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

haha yeah i already had to get a replacement. not cheap either and you have to give your vin for the dealer to even order it. i think i paid $25 for a sticker!
Old 08-15-2011
Registered!!

I only had 1 intake valve that was a bit tight. All the others were fine. The .010" wasn't in my feeler gauge set, must have lost it in the last 10 years or so.... I used a .009" on the exhausts, it was an easy fit, so I left all 8 of them alone. .007" was even tight on that one. It was running fine though. I really don't think that one valve will have that big of effect on things. All I've done is pull it out of my garage though. If it changes anything I'll post back. Don't hold your breath though.