Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

P0139 once a week.

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What_It_Do will become famous soon enough
P0139 once a week.

I keep getting this code like once a week for the past month and have been resetting it with scanner.

According to the sticky:
P0139 O2 Sensor Circuit Slow Response (Bank 1 Sensor 2)

Looking on Honda Parts Cheap. It appears that it might be the one after the cat?
I also don't have Vtec, didn't see an option for non-vtec version, same sensors?

After doing some research, looks like I have some options..

1) Take it out, and take a torch to it until it heats up red. Which is to burn carbon off of it?
2) Replace it.
3) Just need a software update from Honda (seems unlikely)

So, give me your options, and if I need to replace it, what brand is best?
Should add I'm 100% stock.

Last edited by What_It_Do; 07-30-2011 at 11:10 PM.
Old 07-31-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of
Re: P0139 once a week.

Yes, it's the secondary sensor. If no loose connections then I would recommend replacing it as it will hurt fuel economy and may eventually lead to other problems. Not to mention it won't pass emissions. *If you have a D17A6 engine (except 2001) then you need to replace the third sensor as well.*

Also, in poorer times I've taken the sensor out and took it to the wire brush on my bench grinder and used that to carefully remove the carbon (make sure to not touch the end of the sensor with anything). *This is a temporary fix only.*

Go with OEM as these Hondas are pretty finicky when it comes to O2 sensors. Try here: http://www.hondapartscheap.com/southbay/jsp/home.jsp or get the DENSO (OEM manufacturer) here: http://www.rockauto.com/

Some are now recommending replacement of O2 sensors every 60-80K anyways to keep fuel economy as good as possible.
Old 07-31-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by lazlong
*If you have a D17A6 engine (except 2001) then you need to replace the third sensor as well.*
I have a 2005. How do I know what I have?

Also, to access the 02 from after the cat, I take front bumper off, and remove bottom plastic splash shield?

Edit: Found this, it's an LX and Canadian.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_D...281.7_Liter.29

Looks like I only have two sensors..Pheew.

Last edited by What_It_Do; 07-31-2011 at 10:42 AM.
Old 07-31-2011
Registered!!

lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Should be able to access it by taking off the splash shield. Taking off the bumper won't help.

Also, go down to the parts store and pick up a $7 O2 sensor wrench. It makes it so much easier.
Old 07-31-2011
Registered!!

Had a 02 socket in garage.

Didn't need to remove anything to access the sensors, which was nice.

Here's the downstream 02:

So I sprayed with sensor cleaner (nothing came off), took a wire wheel brush to it and heated in up with a torch a bit, sprayed again and put it back in. I'm pretty sure by cleaning the outside doesn't really do anything to improve the efficiency of the elements inside, but whatever..

Here's the upstream 02 to compare:

I noticed the upstream 02 was light gray, while the downstream was dark gray.

Took the car for a good run, felt fine. We'll see how long until the code comes back.

Last edited by What_It_Do; 07-31-2011 at 05:42 PM.
Old 10-22-2011
Registered!!

Well this seemed to go away for a while, but came back, so I replaced with Denso plug-in sensor and it's still coming on, perhaps more frequently now.
What's my next step to diagnose the P0139?
Old 10-23-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

did you try cleaning the outside of the sensor too (the part not in the exhaust pipe)? if you went with a new sensor, make sure it is for the proper position. up and downstream are not the same.
Old 10-23-2011
Registered!!

Check for a bad connection where the sensor plugs in and at the ECM/PCM.
Old 10-23-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
did you try cleaning the outside of the sensor too (the part not in the exhaust pipe)? if you went with a new sensor, make sure it is for the proper position. up and downstream are not the same.
I didn't clean the outside of the sensor.
Yeah, I picked up a Denso 2344092 from Rock Auto it was labelled as downstream.
Old 10-23-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by lazlong
Check for a bad connection where the sensor plugs in and at the ECM/PCM.
Where would I find the PCM in a 2005?