Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Burn Smell and Emmission LIght

Old 03-27-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gerette is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Burn Smell and Emmission LIght

I have a 2005 Honda Civic 4 door with about 71K miles. Do all routine maintenance and reco at mileage intervals.

Past year on and off: burn smell when turn on a/c, heat and/or defroster.
Have brought up 7-8 times and told they can't find a problem (Honda dealer); that I need to come in when happening for them to diagnose; put "air freshener" in.

About one month ago, on/off the emmission light is on; called and was told could be gas cap; it stopped but again has been on steady the past five days.

Are these two connected? If not, thoughts on the causes? Any help would be much appreciated. Have a good one.
Old 03-27-2011
Trance Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Burn Smell and Emmission LIght

Would you happen to have the code(s) handy? It could be as simple as a loose gas cap, to something more serious like a failing/failed catalytic converter. If it's the former, I'd just check it and reset the CEL and see what happens. If you can, please provide the code as it will help us give you a better idea of how to help fix the issue. It seems the dealer is giving you the runaround, which doesn't really surprise me. Lol.

Last edited by MelJ; 03-27-2011 at 10:58 AM.