Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Another DRL problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
updn is an unknown quantity at this point
Another DRL problem

2003 Civic DX Couple here.

As many others before me, I have a DRL problem (DRL light on on dash, one headlight dim). Originally it started with 2 dim headlights and the relay chatter, but when I tapped the DRL module, the chatter stopped. I've resoldered the DRL module, and the DRL relay chatter went away, but I still have a dim passenger headlight. I found another DRL module at a wrecker, put that in, but I got the chatter back on the relay. I again soldered the board, and the chatter went away, but the passenger headlight is still dim. I moved the bulbs around, and it's always the passenger side that is causing the problem.

I can get them to function properly when supplying 12V to the passenger headlight, so somewhere in the circuit, there's a break in the power. I guess the question is where. Supplying the 12V after the DRL module doesn't really solve the problem either, although the light is a little less dim.

I guess I'd like to know if anyone has any other suggestions, or if possible, has a Canadian circuit wiring diagram they would be willing to share with me, so I can troubleshoot this properly.
Old 03-24-2011
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Another DRL problem

When your headlights are turned on and on high beam are the bulbs equal brightness ??
Old 03-24-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by CraigW
When your headlights are turned on and on high beam are the bulbs equal brightness ??
No. The two lights seem to be equally bright when the daytime running lights are on, but only the driver's side bulb works for headlights and high-beams (the passenger one just seems to stay at DRL brightness).
Old 03-25-2011

CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Looks like I will need more info... So the passenger side low beam is dim ?? And both drl and both high beams are fine ??
Old 03-25-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by CraigW
Looks like I will need more info... So the passenger side low beam is dim ?? And both drl and both high beams are fine ??
Yes. I'll try to remember the sequence of events and problems.

It originally started with both headlights being dim, and the chattering relay behind the glove compartment. I changed both headlights, and the driver's side started working fine, but I still had a dim bulbs on the passenger side. I also still had the chattering relay, but when I tapped the DRL module, the chattering would stop, so I assumed that was the problem. I opened the module, soldered the connections, and put it together. I was still left with one good headlight and one dim one. I swapped bulbs.. a few times, but the problem was always with the passenger side. I tried to see if there were any problems with wires, or grounds, but found nothing.

I went to a local wrecker and found another module in a wrecked car, and when I put that into my car, the chattering relay started again.. weird. I opened this one up, and also soldered some connections inside, and the chattering again stopped, but I'm constantly stuck with the same problem headlight on the passenger side.

So: Driver's side headlight works, for DRL, for headlight and for brights. Passenger headlight only works for DRL, nothing else. If I supply 12V power to the passenger headlight, it will start to work for headlight and brights, but then I cannot turn the headlights off.

Hope that makes some sense. I was hoping someone would have a Canadian wiring diagram, since that would help my mechanic friend troubleshoot it. I only have a US diagram and it's missing all the DRL stuff.
Old 03-26-2011

Here are the 01-03 schematics from the factory manuals.

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/a...3&d=1232212860

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/a...4&d=1232212860
Old 03-26-2011
Registered!!

Thank you! I will try to post results if this gets figured out.
Old 06-04-2016
Registered!!

519city91 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have this exact problem and I did the exact same thing I tried swapping bulbs, tried resoldering the drl module behind the trunk release, took apart the combination switch on the steering wheel which looked fine and I tried replacing the drl relay behind the glove box I have 2 Gray modules 1 looks old and another one was with the car when I got it inside a oem Honda wrapper but ive tried switching thoae and still nothing, also checked and rechecked all the fuses which seem fine and my passenger headlight is dim, I also noticed my parking light on the passenger side flickers...Please let me know if you have found a solution.