Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Brake Pedal 'Whistle'

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Doon is an unknown quantity at this point
Brake Pedal 'Whistle'

Here's my situation; My brakes or brake pedal makes a 'high pitched' sound when I release it after having had it depressed for any amount of time. It almost sounds like a whistle or a long squeaky sound. I've listened, and it sounds loudest inside the cabin. In an effort to alleviate the issue I recently had the dealer do a fluid service, and I replaced the pads & rotors. Nothing worked. It doesn't seem to bad when the car is cold, but after some use the noise appears.

Could it be that something in the brake pedal linkage needs to be lubricated, or is it a symptom of something else, like air in the master cylinder?

Thanks-in-advance for your opinions!
Old 03-12-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Brake Pedal 'Whistle'

prolly coming from the pedal then? put a cloth over the brake pedal and spray some silicone lube up where the pivot point is. if its coming from the outside, it could be the e-brake cable squeaking.
Old 03-16-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
danwat12345 has a spectacular aura aboutdanwat12345 has a spectacular aura about
Re: Brake Pedal 'Whistle'

Not to alarm you, but your brake booster might have a leak. Just a possibility.
But of course it's doubtful you would have a leak on the casing of the booster, it would be a leak with the diaphragm.