Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

new guy with engine questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
apeterson is an unknown quantity at this point
new guy with engine questions

HI guys... Great fourm here...

I just bought a 2001 EX with 300K on the ticker... it is idling poorly due to somthing wrong with one of the cyl being scorned or somthing with the valves.... previous owner (who is a very good friend) just dumped 2k to try to fix it, got fed up and just bought a new car so I got a smoking deal on the thing..

I have two quick questions,

1. the car drives perfectly but idles rough, I am thinking of just driving it as I have 3 other trucks so this would be just to work and back thing. how long do you think the engine will hold out before it blows.. since its got 300k on I really dont care and am not going to sink any more money it this engine (honda tech at dealership agreed)

2. how difficult is it to put in a new engine. I have rebuild toyota stuff before and have a full shop with a host and everything so tools and that are not an issue. but... I most of the old toyota stuff I am into is old Landcruisers so they dont have all the computer stuff involved. Is there a thread out there that goes step by step on engine replacement.

Thanks again.. I hope to be a regular here now....
Old 02-18-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: new guy with engine questions

well the engine is only around $600 for the entire thing, and maybe $1k for labor. im surprised previous owner didnt just swap in a used lo mileage engine instead of fixing the old one. they are dime a dozen on ebay. for rough idle, try doing some of the intake parts cleaning like idle air valve, prolly just clogged up.

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...e-up-mods.html
Old 02-18-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
7genmarathon is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah. Talk about getting your moneys worth for 300k miles.

When a car idles roughly, its gasping for air. I'll be cleaning out that valve too come spring break, if I find my camera ill take some pictures to add to the database here on the forums.

And cleaning that valve costs nothing.
Old 02-18-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

1k for labour would be a lot, lots of shops could swap in a new motor for $500 as long as the engine doesn't change. D17s are very common and easy to find though, i've seen them run anywhere from $500 for a 125k km engine to $800 for a 50k km one. The difficult of swapping it is pretty minimal, if you have experience working on land cruisers you could probably handle it. The wiring itself is all plug and play.
Old 02-18-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forum! D17s are a bit tricky to search for on ebay but they are there! I found one anyway.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/JDM-Honda-D17A-VT...item2a0dd5811a

Go big or go home! K20 swap!:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/02-03-04-05-HONDA...item5d2c8d267e