Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

grinding noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bluestreak14 is an unknown quantity at this point
grinding noise

hey everyone,

so i have a grinding noise coming from the drivers side front-end. it makes the noise at idol and increases in sound the faster i go. i was thinking it may be my alternator or AC. I replaced the belts for both about a month ago before this noise started. does anyone know what it could be. If it's the AC bearing can the unit be dismantled and the bearing replaced, or would i need to buy a whole new AC compressor?

Evan
Old 01-26-2011
TRUST me! I'm Idiot Proof!

BobDobolina has a spectacular aura aboutBobDobolina has a spectacular aura aboutBobDobolina has a spectacular aura about
Re: grinding noise

Does it make the noise only in gear?
Check out this.

And im not sure about an A/C pump rebuild, but the P/S pump can be rebuilt. I got a rebuild kit for my power steering and the stealership gave me instructions to boot. Maybe do the same? Just call and ask. Then search the internet for a cheap stealership somewhere closer to Japan...like Cali lol

Did you tighten the belts properly during installation?
Anybody else got 2 cents to spare?
Old 01-30-2011
Registered!!

the noise is constant, right from start up. the belts are all tightened to spec so i know its something mechanical. I'm going to take off each belt to see if i can figure out which ones making the noise. ill post when im done. thanks
Old 01-30-2011
Registered!!

Glenn... is an unknown quantity at this point

I’m a little confused here,

Are you saying the noise goes up with engine speed, or vehicle speed?

I would suggest investing in a stethoscope, it can be very handy when pin-pointing noises

http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-52500-Me.../dp/B0002SQYSM
Old 01-31-2011
Registered!!

the sound goes up with engine speed but eventually the engine noise drowns it out so you can hear it.
Old 01-31-2011
TRUST me! I'm Idiot Proof!

BobDobolina has a spectacular aura aboutBobDobolina has a spectacular aura aboutBobDobolina has a spectacular aura about

If it gets louder while driving/moving in gear, prolly your tranny.
If it gets louder while in neutral with the clutch out 'engaged', prolly your tranny.
If it gets louder while your pushing the clutch in aka 'disengaged' from the tranny, then maybe its your valve train being noisy or a pully bearing of some type, somewhere in the engine.
Gotta isolate the noises first. Is it drive train, engine, ect.
I got the noise saying its my tranny. Didnt want to believe it but then I installed a new clutch and all that, then a month later a full timing belt. been on both sides of the engine and i can honestly say my trannys gettin pulled an rebuilt when it gets warm again. aaahhh summertime...MOTORcycle season!!
Old 01-31-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Both the alternator and A/C clutch can be rebuilt. Go here for parts: http://www.hondapartscheap.com/southbay/jsp/home.jsp

Local autoparts store should have a cheapy rebuild. Local CL is a good place to find cheap parts as well as the for sale forum here or the marketplace @ honda-tech.com.

Nationwide salvage listings: http://www.car-part.com/

Also, there should be a guy somewhere around you that rebuilds alternators, just lookup alternators in the phone book/google. Note: those guys are good for rebuilding alts but I haven't had good luck with rebuilt compressors or pumps.
Old 01-31-2011
Registered!!

eatmyrice is an unknown quantity at this point

I know water pump bearings tend to get noisy. Happened in a car I once owned.