Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

03 Civic, Brake & ABS lights in dash flicker.

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
generik777 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation 03 Civic, Brake & ABS lights in dash flicker.

Hi, I have an 03 civic EX. The problem is that the brake, abs, and sometime the "side airbag off" lights flicker. I have noticed recently that if I use lots of power, for example if I turn on the headlights, heater blower to high, rear defrost, etc. that they either mostly stay off and just flicker every so often or they stop flickering completely. If I use very little power they flicker almost nonstop or just stay lit. BTW nothing is wrong with the brakes. What would cause this? I have also noticed recently that once the car warms up it sometimes helps reduce this but not always. Thanx for any help.

Another thing that I have noticed is that the headlights sometimes dim slightly when I come to a stop and then brighten again as I start driving, The heater blower fan slows down as well when slowing and stopping and then speeds back up to full power when I start moving. Alternator possibly? Any way to test?

Last edited by generik777; 12-12-2010 at 06:02 PM.
Old 12-12-2010
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of
Re: 03 Civic, Brake & ABS lights in dash flicker.

Go down to Autozone and have them test your alternator.
Old 12-12-2010
Registered!!

I can test it at home with a voltmeter cant I? What should the voltage be to the battery with the car on?
Old 12-12-2010
Registered!!

lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Do you have a tester with an inductive pickup? You really need a tester with a voltmeter and inductive pickup like a VAT-40 or you need 2 meters.
Old 12-12-2010
Registered!!

Probably just bring it in and have them test it. Does this seem like it could be an alternator issue?
Old 12-12-2010
Registered!!

Yes. It's sounds like it's not making enough juice. Probably not the battery but, have them test it too.
Old 12-18-2011
Registered!!

bender15486 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, i have exact same problem with my 2004 honda civic ex, even more from the front left tire is comeing noise when i am going 5 miles per hour, as soon as i push the gas, air bag abs and brake lights start flashing. Any idea how i can fix this problem? thanks in advance
Old 12-18-2011
Registered!!

04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

Using a battery load tester is a good idea as well. In any case is your brake fluid low?
Old 07-21-2015
Registered!!

GotSiR is an unknown quantity at this point

Might want to also pop the hood and see if there are corrosion on the battery terminals. If the terminals are clean and tighten down than check to make sure the ground wire to the chassis is good.