Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Rain Water in Driver Side Flooring of 2001 Civic Ex Cope w/Moon Roof

Old 12-05-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
had2010 is an unknown quantity at this point
Rain Water in Driver Side Flooring of 2001 Civic Ex Cope w/Moon Roof

Hi

This is my first Honda that I will be working on by myself. I have one major concern and two minor questions. Thank you in advance and very much appreciated for any guidance’s.

Major Concern:

During a heavy rain, I see a small amount of water dripping from the interior fuse box cover underneath the steering column on the drive side carpet flooring. I pulled the cover off and I don’t see where the water is coming from.

And, I also see a large wet spot near the Fuel Fill/Truck Door Release/Valet Key area. So, I pulled the up the carpet around the Fuel Fill Release and I can’t find or see where the water is coming from. I also do not see water between the driver door and frame, inside the door panel, and the door/window seals are good. The moon roof is dry, no water build-up, and the drain plugs are not clogged. I also sprayed air into the drain plugs. Putting a heavy thick towel over the wet area soaks up much of the water and prevents it from going toward the back area.

Two minor questions:

I’m going to replace the front disk bake pads. I don’t feel any pulsation during braking, so, do I need to resurface the rotors? I hear no, but, I also heard its best to resurface because of the front wheel drive. Any thoughts?

Is it better to just drain and fill or flush coolant?
Old 12-07-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Rain Water in Driver Side Flooring of 2001 Civic Ex Cope w/Moon Roof

just drain and fill coolant. for moonroof, there are four drain tubes and one of em goes to the driver side floor where the hood release is (behind the plastic panel). pull it off and see if the hose came loose and push it back in to the body so it drains outside. for trunk leaks, get inside and have someone spray the car with water. usually it comes from the rear window (not the back windshield) molding seal that is loose or letting water in. it pops out and you can use rubber sealant before snapping back in. it should stop the leak.
Old 12-09-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
just drain and fill coolant. for moonroof, there are four drain tubes and one of em goes to the driver side floor where the hood release is (behind the plastic panel). pull it off and see if the hose came loose and push it back in to the body so it drains outside. for trunk leaks, get inside and have someone spray the car with water. usually it comes from the rear window (not the back windshield) molding seal that is loose or letting water in. it pops out and you can use rubber sealant before snapping back in. it should stop the leak.
Thanks gearbox, I will do that.
Old 01-01-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
Happy New Year,

I had a break from the rain. I pulled the plastic panels and carpet to both the driver and passage side. No hoses were seen on either side, unless the hoses are located inside the frame. We did find one black cable on the passage side, thinking it’s the antenna wire. The moon roof seals are good, no water spots, doesn’t have water near or around the four drain hoses, all dried.
Old 01-01-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

hoses should be there, maybe closer to the inside but should be visible. an easy test is to open the moonroof, then pour water into each drain tube hole from the top. there should be four holes, one for each drain tube. just look for them in the moon roof black drain pan. pour water in one side and keep pouring alot in until you either see water on the ground, in the car, or the tube starts to overflow (clogged). once you do one hole, move on to the next until you find the problem.

for the water on the fuse box, try and remove some of the fuse box covers and stuff so you can see where its coming from. water near the fuse box isnt good.
Old 02-05-2011
Registered!!

gizcivic is an unknown quantity at this point

Had the same problem with water under my driver side dash.
It was coming down wires through a grommet on the side wall.
all i did was silicone grommet and wires and no more water.