Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2001 civic valve cover

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2010
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
mililani is just really nicemililani is just really nicemililani is just really nicemililani is just really nice
2001 civic valve cover

So, I searched the entire forum and have not found anyone ask this yet. I'm trying to remove the valve cover to change out the gaskets, but holy hell, why did Honda make it so damn hard to remove it? I can't get the hose from the air intake to the valve cover removed. Anyone do this before? I'm downloading the 7th gen manual from the forum. I'll see if it has some instructions for it.
Old 06-26-2010
Low and slow!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
02civicsi02 will become famous soon enough
Re: 2001 civic valve cover

The hose is probably compressed on it good. Just take a flat head screwdriver and stick it in between and pry alittle but dont punch a hole in it. It should be easy to get the valvecover off. Its just that hose to the breather, the spark plug wires or coil packs and a couple of bolts.
Old 06-26-2010
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,156 Likes on 806 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

the crankcase breather hose is always a royal pain to get off of the valve cover. As aforementioned, a flat head screwdriver should do it.
Old 06-27-2010
2001 Civic LX Sedan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Biscuit will become famous soon enoughBiscuit will become famous soon enough

Grasp the hose at the valve cover fitting with pliers and twist the hose back and forth along the circumference of the fitting until the hose breaks loose.
Problem solved!
Old 06-27-2010
Registered!!

mililani is just really nicemililani is just really nicemililani is just really nicemililani is just really nice

Thanks guys. I finally got it off yesterday, and it was a pain in the ***! Actually, the whole process was painful. The area is a tight fit, and there was overhanging lip from the air intake manifold area that made it a bitch to get the cover off. I have to finish the work today after writing my final paper. I'm NOT looking forward to putting the valve cover back on.

By the way, my O-rings and gasket seal were completely baked in. It was a bitch to get the O-rings off, but I found a trick. Use a long nose plier and grab an exposed edge (there is an area that exposes a millimeter of the O-ring to grab). Grab it and twist in clockwise fashion. It should bend the ring inward and allow you to peel the O-ring off like a tin can opener.
Old 06-27-2010
Registered!!

Finally finished it. Getting the new valves on the bolts were impossible. I could only get two on. I just used the old bolts and valves. Also, getting the O-rings on require a hammer and chisel technique. I didn't think it would be that hard getting those things on there. Besides that, it wasn't that hard to get the valve cover back on.