Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Car smells like strong unburned fuel.

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CivicRage is an unknown quantity at this point
Car smells like strong unburned fuel.

deleted

Last edited by CivicRage; 07-17-2010 at 02:00 AM.
Old 06-24-2010
Remebers the old days
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CrewChief is a glorious beacon of lightCrewChief is a glorious beacon of lightCrewChief is a glorious beacon of lightCrewChief is a glorious beacon of lightCrewChief is a glorious beacon of lightCrewChief is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Car smells like strong unburned fuel.

If its the DC short header I dont see why just that would cause your to not burn the fuel correctly. Did you replace the front O2 sensor. If thats all fouled out and not reading correctly it could cause the car to run rich.
Old 06-25-2010
Registered!!

deleted

Old 06-25-2010
Registered!!

deleted

Old 06-25-2010
Remebers the old days

CrewChief is a glorious beacon of lightCrewChief is a glorious beacon of lightCrewChief is a glorious beacon of lightCrewChief is a glorious beacon of lightCrewChief is a glorious beacon of lightCrewChief is a glorious beacon of light

I'm at a total loss man. I dont know what to tell you. A crank and cam sensor will cause the car to run rich. So will incorrect timing. I hate saying this but it might be time to take it to a dealer and get the Air/fuels checked to see if they are High. The car at stock should run around a 14.5-14.8 afr.
Old 06-25-2010
Administrator
Administrator

Received 1,149 Likes on 803 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

I've been having kind of the same problem, intermittent as well, and it seems more likely to happen if the car's been sitting for more than 18 hours in hot weather. I am, however, able to monitor my a/f ratio thanks to my AEM wideband.

tell me if your problem sounds similar to mine (which, I still can't figure out)
-Car seems to have a rough idle, sometimes seeming as if it's running on 3 cylinders (idle AFR sitting at 10.0-11.0)
-As soon as you get on the gas, it seems to have immense power loss, almost as if the car is gonna die (AFR immediately leans out to ~17). Turning on to random streets has forced me to fully depress the clutch, rev up until my AFR is happy and dump the clutch, just to avoid getting hit.
-At WOT, AFR sits at about 11.9-12.3 (this one is for anyone that might have any input to my problem)

and I've replaced both o2 sensors with Honda OEM, running NKG iridiums. I know my car's kitty is dying due to an ECU wiring mishap (P0420 code pretty much locked in, coil pack wires were severed due to shoddy piggyback wiring causing misfires), and I have an intermittent P1457 code that I'm yet to figure out, too.. Also getting kinda shitty mileage (average 27.5-30 city)
Old 07-14-2010
Registered!!

deleted

Old 07-14-2010
Low and slow!

02civicsi02 will become famous soon enough

If it is an idling issue then it can be a couple of things. vaccuum leak, tbs, or the iacv. If it was the iacv then you would have to clean it and mainly clean the rotor in it. Thats the most important part really.

If its a missfire then there are also alot of different things that could be it. The spark plugs, spark plug wires, distributor, ignition coil, compression, timing. There are tons of things that could be it. Hel;l you could have the plugs wires in the wrong place on the distributor. You have to come and realize that when it comes to cars its never that easy. It can be very frustrating. We are at least trying to help, sometime for people that know a little bit have a hard time with it.

Last edited by 02civicsi02; 07-14-2010 at 10:17 PM.
Old 07-14-2010
Registered!!

It should be evident that i'm well aware of "what it could be" and once again you mentioned the idle air control valve. If you read what i said, things have been adjusted, replaced and cleaned. All the things you mention as well.
Old 07-14-2010
Low and slow!

02civicsi02 will become famous soon enough

Did you redo the timing.
Old 07-14-2010
Registered!!

deleted

Last edited by CivicRage; 07-17-2010 at 01:58 AM.
Old 07-14-2010
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

usually misaligned TPS sensor causes the idle to jump up and down. try another junkyard tb and see what happens (make sure you get the right one for auto or manual trans). if you have a pre-2001 civic, get the ignition timing set.
Old 07-14-2010
Registered!!

deleted

Last edited by CivicRage; 07-17-2010 at 01:58 AM.
Old 07-15-2010
Registered!!

Honda Hound is an unknown quantity at this point

First so flippin happy i found this website!!! I am a proud Honda owner, except yesterday my battery went dead.......No Tunes!! I did the 1-6 radio trick and got this from it,U2204 and L4954 Can anyone help with a code???? I drive an hour a day twice to work and i feel like the dudes from free credit report.com t.v. commercials!!! Please help me before i jump off a cliff!
Old 07-15-2010
Registered!!

GEARBOX!! Can ya help!!!!!!!!
Old 07-15-2010
Registered!!

^ WOW.

Old 07-15-2010
Registered!!

Ok .....anyone know a great cliff! One 2001 lx flying piece of scrap metal coming up!!!
Old 07-15-2010
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CivicRage
Here comes some back stepping. Why would my TPS sensor need to be readjusted if its never been taken off in the first place and has been factory set? I doubt it moves anywhere on its own. Are you saying a change of timing from a timing belt job would require resetting the TPS sensor?
yeah it can move on its own. the inner groove of the sensor is plastic. if it cracks from old age, it can cause the metal key from the throttle body to become misaligned, and even a 0.1v variance will cause idle problems.