Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Car bogs out in first 5 mins of driving

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
chad85 is an unknown quantity at this point
Car bogs out in first 5 mins of driving

I have a 2001 Honda civic and I've had the same problem for a couple years now. First when i start my car it starts bogging out in the first 5 minutes of driving, it usually doesn't cut out but it runs rough and sputters. I noticed that this usally occurs doing the warmer weather rather then the cold weather. It's also lacking power. I had it at a garage yesterday and they spent a couple hours trying to figure out the problem but couldn't.....now i have a couple hundred dollar bill but my car isn't fixed. Can you help me please?
Old 06-23-2010
Remebers the old days
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CrewChief is a glorious beacon of lightCrewChief is a glorious beacon of lightCrewChief is a glorious beacon of lightCrewChief is a glorious beacon of lightCrewChief is a glorious beacon of lightCrewChief is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Car bogs out in first 5 mins of driving

My car did the same thing when I removed the Idle control valve when I switched to the D16y8 manifold. But it did it more so in the cold and not as bad in the warmer weather.

when it bogs down can you smell a strong fuel smell from the exhaust?
Old 06-23-2010
Registered!!

Deryk is an unknown quantity at this point

My civic is doing the same thing as Chad's. when it bogs at idle there is a strong smell of fuel in the exhaust. i cleaned my throttle body best i could and cleaned the idle control valve as well with no improvement. could there still be something wrong with the IAC or would it be something else?
Old 06-23-2010
Remebers the old days
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CrewChief is a glorious beacon of lightCrewChief is a glorious beacon of lightCrewChief is a glorious beacon of lightCrewChief is a glorious beacon of lightCrewChief is a glorious beacon of lightCrewChief is a glorious beacon of light

Check your plugs. See what they look like. It could be as simple is fouling plugs until they get hot.......it happens.

But sounds more like a IACV, TPS, or MAP sensor problem. If you have a buddy or someone with the same car you could try swaping the sensors and see if it fixes the problem. I'm sure someone on here lives near you.
Old 06-23-2010
Registered!!

Deryk is an unknown quantity at this point

i'd love to check the plugs but im having issues getting them out and i fear for the threads. i would think theyre ok as the car passed an emissions test with flying colors last august (issue was happening then too).

is there any way to check the functionality of the sensors on the throttle body?
Old 07-30-2010
Registered!!

TopDog is an unknown quantity at this point

Had this same problem - was the oxygen sensor.

The oxygen sensor relies on exhaust heat to operate properly - for the first few minutes of operation it has a heater - the heater crapped out so the sensor didn't work right.

Changed it out and the problem was fixed.