Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Can you identify this part/build-up of grime?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
npierno is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Can you identify this part/build-up of grime?

This is probably a dumb question but I can't seem to find out how to refer to this part in order to research it! In regards to my '05 civic dx;

Is it common to have a sludge buildup on this piece (see pic)? I'm not too sure what it is or what it's bolting down... any insight would be greatly appreciated! I want to at last figure out what I'm looking at, and if it's normal

Let me know if I need to take a better picture.. I've just looked through countless engine diagrams and I'm still trodding through my haynes manual but I just can't seem to identify the bolt thing with any name, and why there might be grime on it.

It's probably nothing I just wanted to know what I was talking about if I took it to someone to look at. There's also a weird white foam, you can kinda see it in the picture - is that normal? Am I paranoid or do I have a jerry rigged engine part?

It runs great... it's an 05 with 130 thousand km's... Really appreciate anyone's wisdom on this. Please forgive my ignorance.
Old 06-07-2010
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,149 Likes on 803 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Can you identify this part/build-up of grime?

The "white foam" may be RTV that squeezed out from the valve cover
Old 06-07-2010
Registered!!

So no biggie?

What about the crap all over there.. business as usual? I'm just gonna clean it, and see if it accumulates again... I'm not losing oil soooo...
Old 06-07-2010
Administrator
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Well, it is right next to the EGR valve.. May be some leakage from that.. I'm just throwing out ideas.. Is it more of an oily grime or some kinda soot?

Poke the "white foam" with something.. If it feels kinda rubbery, then you're fine.
Old 06-07-2010
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

It's just the sealer that they put on when the seal the valve cover. They use a gasket but in all the corners they put that silicon crap. I forgot what it's called.
Old 06-07-2010
Administrator
Administrator

*ahem* rtv?
Old 06-07-2010
Registered!!

Thanks a bunch you guys. Ya, that makes sense about the white stuff... it definitely is rubbery, I'm perfectly satisfied with silicone crap so at least it's not something shady. (I just bought the car)

It seems more on the grimey side... I'm gonna get it looked at I think... or is it even worth it?
Old 06-07-2010
Registered!!

Yess. RTV in the house.

Is there something in your throat?
Old 06-07-2010
Administrator
Administrator

*cough cough* yea.. got a little tickle in the throat.. hahahahaha

I'd say clean it off, and periodically check for it's return. You'd prolly be able to get a better idea of at least what direction it's coming from
Old 06-08-2010
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

there is a cam seal/plug in that area and a little oil seepage is normal, so long as you are not dripping oil everywhere.