Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Steering wheel at 45 degree angle after new struts

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2010
I'm bigger than you.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DannyK35 is a name known to allDannyK35 is a name known to allDannyK35 is a name known to allDannyK35 is a name known to allDannyK35 is a name known to allDannyK35 is a name known to allDannyK35 is a name known to allDannyK35 is a name known to all
Steering wheel at 45 degree angle after new struts

I recently had new struts put on my '01 Ex coupe, and wow what a difference.

Anyway, now that they are in, my steering wheel is turned about 45 degrees from it's normal position when I'm driving straight. There isn't an alignment issue (I don't think) and there isn't a problem with the car veering to one side while driving, I just don't know what happened as to why it sits in this position while driving straight. Any help is appreciated.
Old 05-20-2010
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Steering wheel at 45 degree angle after new struts

Did you get an alignment done? Did you do the install yourself?
Old 05-20-2010
I'm bigger than you.

DannyK35 is a name known to allDannyK35 is a name known to allDannyK35 is a name known to allDannyK35 is a name known to allDannyK35 is a name known to allDannyK35 is a name known to allDannyK35 is a name known to allDannyK35 is a name known to all

No, no alignment done yet. I helped install them with my gf's bro-in-law (ex-mechanic). I didn't notice the issue til we got on the road.
Old 05-20-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

you know what to do, right? ...
And it is not to pray for Jesus, because he won't help you in that...
Please, 31 years old, change the struts and do not align and posts why the alignments seems to be off? ... and claims to be jesus? Jeez...

Last edited by sdaidoji; 05-20-2010 at 09:11 PM.
Old 05-20-2010
I'm bigger than you.

Holy ****, I'm being flamed by a 38 yr old Canasian riceboy..... I thought ricers grew out of that stage after they hit 21, guess not. I mean, modding a 2k1 (yes, this site used to be called 2k1civic.com/7thgencivic.com before it was merged into the site you see before you..you probably didn't know that but hey, now you do!) is great and all, but ninja please. At your age you should be driving something better. Unless of course, this is your daily driver. Much respect!

And wow, I thought I was old on this site, considering I've been a member since 2001 and have never claimed to be a gearhead. And yet you are a member since....2008.

Either way thanks for the super advice. I usually take my questions to PMs because I know that old friends on the site will help me out when I need it. That's why I am still here, there are good people on this site that don't act like SA GBS *******s who threadshit on legitimate threads when assistance is actually needed.

So go eat some Phở flavored poutine and have fun as you approach being middle aged. Oh and thanks again for your advice, I'll get my alignment stat. *******.

And to the old school 7th Gen clan..... "my girlfriend is hotter than that "

edit: oh yeah, the "My nickname was Jesus back in high school" sig.... It's from a Notorious BIG song, you were probably hitting your 30s at that time. Sorry you missed that.

Last edited by DannyK35; 05-20-2010 at 11:42 PM. Reason: sdaidoji is out of touch
Old 05-20-2010
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Lol.. I saw your username as the thread starter and assumed it was a noob bumping an ancient thread..

Back on topic before a (relative) noob gets burned... You sure everything got everything bolted up proper? See what happens after the alignment.
Old 05-21-2010
I'm bigger than you.

^^thank you sir, I think.

Yes, I was asking a noob question but I did not expect someone to respond as such. Thanks man, I figured that an alignment would take care of everything but I just wanted to know if there was anything else to look out for. This isn't the Off Topic forum (which was awesome back in the day) so I didn't expect n00b flaming etc. Again I was just looking for solid advice from 7thGenners that were apt to help out a fellow member with his/her car. Hell, I would've just asked gearbox for advice if I wanted to. But thanks again man, you are one of the few that have been around for a while.

Last edited by DannyK35; 05-21-2010 at 12:45 AM. Reason: sdaidoji is a member of lemonparty
Old 05-21-2010
Administrator
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Yea man.. I figured (after realizing you made the thread today) that you wanted to see if there was any light that someone could shed on the situation.

Hell, if that happened to me, I would have done the same. I would have had a momentary "WTF did I mess up this time.. *sigh*" moment, then posted something on the forums to get some dummy check advice before the obvious [alignment] were to occur say, the following day.

In an attempt to correct the steering wheel problem, I'd pull the front wheels off and dummy check everything you touched to swap the struts. The only thing I could think of would be the tie rods, but that would cause you to veer off to one way or another.. I kinda wanna know what caused it now.

Edit: I'm always willing to help out a member that was here for the 2k1civic/7thgen days, no matter how stupid the thread topic may seem.

Last edited by xRiCeBoYx; 05-21-2010 at 12:53 AM. Reason: Because I'm the shit and I can.
Old 05-21-2010
I'm bigger than you.

(love you xRiceboyx, not in a gay way)

Yeah I'm going to check the tie rods after we do an alignment (if that doesn't fix it).

I've just been dealing with this P0420 issue so that's been my major concern recently, but my gf's bro-in-law and I took care of the struts this past week because it was just annoying to hit bumps and feel massive rattling so we tackled it. Thanks again for chiming in man.

Last edited by DannyK35; 05-21-2010 at 01:06 AM. Reason: either way, sdaidoji is a member of lemonparty , goatse, or meatspin (dot com)
Old 05-21-2010
Administrator
Administrator

Heh.. I'm dealing with a p0420 code too.. Peeking under my car, there's a fatty dent in my random tech cat
Also got an intermittent p1457 code...

But yea, let us (who actually give a damn) know if the alignment fixes it.

Originally Posted by DannyK35
(love you xRiceboyx, not in a gay way)
You know how I know you're gay?

Hahaha.. just kidding
Old 05-21-2010
I'm bigger than you.

You have a rainbow bumper sticker on your car that says, "I like it when ***** are in my face." (sorry man, random 40 yr old virgin quote)
Old 05-21-2010
Administrator
Administrator

hahaha. well played.
Old 05-21-2010
Whachya lookin at?

BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Yea for sure let us know. If you take it to a decent shop that does the alignment they will actually tell you if something is wrong before they even do it. I never even noticed your join date when i posted that first post.

Respect!
Old 05-21-2010
Administrator
Administrator

Like I said, when I saw this thread after clicking "new posts" and seeing sdaidoji as the last post and DannyK as the thread starter, I thought it was a noob bumping a 5 year old thread..
Old 05-21-2010
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

alignment would be a good idea, but ive never come across drastic steering wheel angles just from a car being out of alignment. when i had springs and shocks put in, i could still drive the car fine and steering wheel was straight, even tho alignment specs were way off. did you line up the indexing arrows during the install? its possible they were not installed properly. but to answer your question if everything was done right, an alignment shop should be able to play with the tie rod ends to fix the tilted steering wheel. seems like right now, its mostly a cosmetic issue.

Last edited by gearbox; 05-21-2010 at 12:09 PM.
Old 05-21-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

I thought ricers grew out of that stage after they hit 21, guess not. At your age you should be driving something better. Unless of course, this is your daily driver. Much respect!
hit the spot!
there are good people on this site that don't act like SA GBS *******s who threadshit on legitimate threads when assistance is actually needed.]
Sorry bout that...
So go eat some Phở flavored poutine and have fun as you approach being middle aged. .
Hope you had just heard about them and not tasted them...
Oh and thanks again for your advice, I'll get my alignment stat. *******.
Apologies, did not know of your background...
edit: oh yeah, the "My nickname was Jesus back in high school" sig.... It's from a Notorious BIG song, you were probably hitting your 30s at that time. Sorry you missed that.
mid-aged ricer boy! sometimes it's hard to keep the temper in control with all the noobs saying really stupid things...

Sorry, man, thought you were just another guy that have just been in the "slam your car all the way" forums and couldn't deal with the real suspension adjustments... I am a bad dog...
Old 05-21-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
Like I said, when I saw this thread after clicking "new posts" and seeing sdaidoji as the last post and DannyK as the thread starter, I thought it was a noob bumping a 5 year old thread..
starting to look out after my temper again... Seems i had been doing it a lot lately...
Old 05-21-2010
Whachya lookin at?

^ Remember what I said before. It's a forum, people are asking for help because they don't know. Not everyone knows what you know so you have to show some patience. Your not going to make a lot of friends quick with responses like the one above.
Old 05-21-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

Ah, and not canadian, but brazilian that lives in TN and temporarily transferred to Canada (and no, it's not because of temper if anyone is wondering ) - need to say that or TBohar would be misunderstood.
And yeah, this is the DD, I have a Miata for harder duties.
Old 05-21-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

Originally Posted by tbohar
^ Remember what I said before. It's a forum, people are asking for help because they don't know. Not everyone knows what you know so you have to show some patience. Your not going to make a lot of friends quick with responses like the one above.
Yup! keeping temper in check... Not for the purpose of making friends, but for it is not really polite, for starters...
Old 05-21-2010
Whachya lookin at?

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
Ah, and not canadian, but brazilian that lives in TN and temporarily transferred to Canada (and no, it's not because of temper if anyone is wondering ) - need to say that or TBohar would be misunderstood.
And yeah, this is the DD, I have a Miata for harder duties.
I'm confused. Please enlighten me why I'd be misunderstood?
Old 05-21-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

I'm confused. Please enlighten me why I'd be misunderstood?
thought you were a real canadian? Not a guy temporarily in canada?
Holy ****, I'm being flamed by a 38 yr old Canasian riceboy.....
Old 05-21-2010
Administrator
Administrator

hahahahaha
Old 05-21-2010
Whachya lookin at?

Alright, apparently I shouldn't go on forums after work cuz im too tired to decipher your code man... So your Brazilian, cool... I'm Croatian, nice to meet you. Still shoud be nice to people... His response was justified, accurate or not.
Old 05-21-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

Alright, apparently I shouldn't go on forums after work cuz im too tired to decipher your code man... So your Brazilian, cool... I'm Croatian, nice to meet you. Still shoud be nice to people... His response was justified, accurate or not.
Woops... true, you are croatian... (from other thread, had forgotten...) Yes, understand that and keeping temper in check from now (again... sigh for me...)
Old 05-21-2010
Whachya lookin at?

LOL Canasian Riceboy is pretty good... you should put that in your sig...

Sdaidoji, the Canasian Riceboy
Old 05-21-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

lol canasian riceboy is pretty good... You should put that in your sig...

Sdaidoji, the canasian riceboy
nope! Though i have to agree that was funny!
Old 06-11-2010
Administrator
Administrator

YES I KNOW I"M BUMPING A 3 WEEK OLD THREAD

But, I recently had a similar problem. I raised my Tein SS-P's so they'd stop eating my fender linings (.25" up front, .64" in the back, just to even it out)

Well, I put everything back together, and my steering wheel was cocked at ~10-15º to the left. I have an appointment at an aftermarket shop to get my alignment done tomorrow morning.

However, I decided to take a look at things and just make sure everything was torqued down. Fixed the camber plates on the top so they both lined up to the first tick mark. I think each tick mark is .5º camber adjustment. Torqued those down to 15ft-lbs. Also checked the torque on the top strut mounting bolts as well as the tie rod end strut attachment. Put the car down on the ground and re-checked the strut top mounting bolts and camber plate hex nuts. Took her out for a test drive and my steering wheel was pointing straight. The only thing I really changed was my driver side camber plate..
There's still a bit of negative camber, but I'll get that fixed

Moral of the story, strut could have been indexed wrong or stuff's torque loosed up or was under-torqued
Old 06-11-2010
I'm bigger than you.

you know what to do, right? ...
And it is not to pray for Jesus, because he won't help you in that...
Please, 31 years old, change the struts and do not align and posts why the alignments seems to be off? ... and claims to be jesus? Jeez...

(sorry, I couldn't resist...but thank you sir for the update!)

Last edited by DannyK35; 06-11-2010 at 02:40 AM.
Old 06-11-2010
I'm bigger than you.

(double post. new bluetooth mouse = Dan clicking twice and not realizing it)

Quick Reply: Steering wheel at 45 degree angle after new struts