Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Valve Cover Bolt

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
kageones is an unknown quantity at this point
Valve Cover Bolt

I am a lurker who cant find the answer by searching so here is my first post! I bought a 99 civic lx in February and have had oil burning issues since... or so I thought. I saw one of the valve cover bolts had oil around and checked them all out, one of them is broke and was siliconed to the cover! I can not find a replacement anywhere and I do not want to take the cover off before I find one, has anybody had to replace one? I will buy all five and the gasket if there is a kit or something with the gasket but everything I search comes up with everything but the bolts, thanks Kage

Last edited by kageones; 05-16-2010 at 12:39 PM.
Old 05-16-2010
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Valve Cover Bolt

Your answer probably lies at the dealership. They can get you the gaskets and bolts that you need. If the old bolt is broken off inside the head you have bigger issues.
Old 05-16-2010
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...DER+HEAD+COVER
Old 05-16-2010
Whachya lookin at?

BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

^ Damn you for one upping me again!!! lol
Old 05-16-2010
Registered!!

seoul4korea can only hope to improve

What about the bolt??? Is it broken in the head??? Try getting an easy out and backing it out. Otherwise you could either take it to the dealership and have them get it out. That way they are the ones that i'll have to fix it if they mess it up. Drill it out yourself and retap it. Up 2 you.
Old 05-16-2010
Administrator
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Lol.. forgot about that part. ^^^listen to him. lol

Originally Posted by tbohar
^ Damn you for one upping me again!!! lol
thats kinda what I do
Old 05-16-2010
Low and slow!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
02civicsi02 will become famous soon enough

How bad is it broke off, can we get a picture.
Old 05-16-2010
Registered!!

I can take a pic for sure. The bottom of the bolt will probably have to be ez outed but I dont want to do it until I have a new bolt to replace it. I wont know until I pull the cover off but I cant do that until I get a new bolt. It is one of the shorter bolts front right of the cover, I would say the bolt is about broken at about 2 inches when I pulled it off, so I am hoping maybe I can turn it out with some vice grips if there is are any threads showing
Old 05-16-2010
Registered!!

Thanks for the link
Old 05-16-2010
Low and slow!

Originally Posted by kageones
I can take a pic for sure. The bottom of the bolt will probably have to be ez outed but I dont want to do it until I have a new bolt to replace it. I wont know until I pull the cover off but I cant do that until I get a new bolt. It is one of the shorter bolts front right of the cover, I would say the bolt is about broken at about 2 inches when I pulled it off, so I am hoping maybe I can turn it out with some vice grips if there is are any threads showing
Ya that was what I was bout to say, you can probably grag some vice grips or pliers or something to grab it and turn it. But ya that link will show you what to get and you can order them.
Old 05-16-2010
Administrator
Administrator

Originally Posted by kageones
Thanks for the link
NP man, glad I could help.
Old 05-16-2010
Registered!!

seoul4korea can only hope to improve

Vice grips with some Penitrating fluid and you should be good. if not do one of what I was saying above.
Old 05-16-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by 02civicsi02
How bad is it broke off, can we get a picture.
Crappy cell phone pics it shows which bolt it is. I dont want to take it out again, but it is broke right where it flares out.
a9c52683.jpg?t=1274060846
8544fdb2.jpg?t=1274060901
Old 05-17-2010
Low and slow!

If it is just broke at the top part then there should be no problem using some vice grips to turn it.
Old 05-17-2010
Whachya lookin at?

I think the torque spec on those is 14ft/lbs, it should come out pretty easy. Just hope he didn't break it because he torqued it way too tight (which he probably did)
Old 05-17-2010
Registered!!

thanks for all the help guys, guess I will be changing a valve cover gasket this weekend! I hope the bolt is not a p.i.t.a to get out, I have been mad all day that I didnt see it until today, it never showed any signs of a leak. I agree with him over torquing it, I cant see any other way for it to break.
Old 05-17-2010
Low and slow!

Originally Posted by tbohar
I think the torque spec on those is 14ft/lbs, it should come out pretty easy. Just hope he didn't break it because he torqued it way too tight (which he probably did)
Ya probably, this happened to me. I never touched my valve cover till I wanted to paint it and when I tried to take it off 2 of the acorn nuts where strip on the valve cover studs and would just spin. I had to get a dremel and grind the nuts off to get my valve cover off. I hate people that dont know what they are doing.
Old 03-26-2018
Registered!!

steakmobile is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BlueEM2
Just got on here searching for dimensions of the head cover bolts so I can put in a helicoil. This is due to an improper conversion I made when replacing the bolt. I over-torqued and stripped the hole. I believe the miscalculation I made (it was back in like 2012, so I may be wrong about conversion...again) was ft/lbs instead of in/lbs. Be sure to double-check that if you're dealing with these. I have had a slow, seeping leak for 6 years that I am afraid to repair.