Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Trans overrevving?....

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Staninator is an unknown quantity at this point
Trans overrevving?....

Okay so I just started up my car a bit ago and the check engine light came on out of nowhere... I realized that my transmission doesn't want to shift gears... I have an auto trans and hate it! It has never given me problems before... EVER! It just won't shift into 3rd or 4th gear... It takes a while to shift into second 4k rpm's or so. When I am driving 45mph it stays at 3k rpm's, which is what it is when I am driving 70mph. I haven't had a chance to scan the code yet but what do you guys think it may be? The solenoid?
Old 02-13-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Trans overrevving?....

prolly the TPS sensor on the throttle body. i bet the engine code is for "tps hi voltage" just check the code and you will know what it is.
Old 02-13-2010
Registered!!

If that is the cause, is it very expensive to replace? Could I do it myself as well?
Old 02-14-2010
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

$50 for a whole used throttle body on ebay. swap it in, relearn the idle, and youre done. 10 mins max its very easy to change. just be sure to get the right one depending if you have auto or manual trans. its cheaper and easier than just replacing the tps sensor and calibrating it.
Old 02-15-2010
Registered!!

So I ended up buying a new throttle body. Yay for maintenance! So I was wondering how do relearn the idle?
Old 02-15-2010
Premium Member

i hope you checked the engine code first? cause it could be other things too.

idle learn

whenever the throttle body is removed, you must complete the idle learn procedure otherwise the car will not idle properly. to do this, start the car and warm it to operating temp. you can drive around to do this and should not have too many problems except unsteady idle. park the car and turn it off. open the hood, locate fuse box, and remove the FI ECU fuse.

Name:  fuse-box.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  44.2 KB

put the fuse back in, close hood, and start the car. let it idle for 10 minutes in park or neutral without using any lights/accessories or pressing the gas. after 10 mins, shut the car off. start it again and go for a drive like you normally would. it will take upto a full tank of gas for the ecu to relearn fuel maps and readiness codes. the idle will be set immediately, but it may take a while til the ecu relearns everything and you start getting good mileage again.
Old 02-15-2010
Registered!!

yeah I got two engine codes: P0122 and P1298 (or something like that). The first one is the TPS and you were totally right! Thanks so much man!
Old 02-15-2010
Premium Member

ah okay. yeah its a bad feeling when the tps goes on an auto. i almost didnt make it home that night.
Old 02-16-2010
Registered!!

After I put in the new throttle body, will the check engine light turn off? Oh and do you know what to do about the P1298 code? Something about an overload? Totally unnecessary....

Last edited by Staninator; 02-16-2010 at 10:12 PM.
Old 02-17-2010
Premium Member

i would reset the ecu by pulling the fuse when doing the idle learn. if the light comes back, theres a problem. p1298 is ELD hi input (electronic load detector), the thing in the fuse box that turns the alternator on and off depending on electrical demand from accessories.