Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Idles takes a while to go down

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
boosted2cam is an unknown quantity at this point
Idles takes a while to go down

I searched and cleaned iacv still have this problem..

the car idles fine. warm up and after

but when i rev it up a little it stays at like 1500 rpm for like 3-5 secs then drop down to like regular 800 rpms. i guess its geting stuck or something? i checked the cables its loose. i even rev it from the engine bay. (i barely tap it and it'll do it...)

any ideas?
Old 01-29-2010
Low and slow!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
02civicsi02 will become famous soon enough
Re: Idles takes a while to go down

The main problems for a car to idle differently is an o2 sensors, the iacv (idle air control valve, a vacuum leak, or it is the tbps (throttle body position sensor). If you dont have a check engine light on then its not the o2 sensor so now its either a vacuum leak or the tbps. You also have to take in that you may have cleaned the iacv but sometimes thats not always the problem you might need a new one.
Old 01-29-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by 02civicsi02
The main problems for a car to idle differently is an o2 sensors, the iacv (idle air control valve, a vacuum leak, or it is the tbps (throttle body position sensor). If you dont have a check engine light on then its not the o2 sensor so now its either a vacuum leak or the tbps. You also have to take in that you may have cleaned the iacv but sometimes thats not always the problem you might need a new one.

Yeah I dont have a CEL.

Might be a vacuum leak..i can hear a big suction or something..ill check that tonight.

then if it doesnt fit it ill buy a new tbps.
Old 01-29-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

yeah you always need to do the idle learn procedure after cleaning intake components like tb and iac. otherwise yes the rpm will seem to get stuck when revving and letting off the gas. make sure throttle cable isnt too tight (it needs 1/2 inch of play in and out). other than that it could be a gasket leaking air if you reused the old ones. but most likely needs to relearn the idle. check this thread at the bottom.

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/7...e-up-mods.html
Old 01-29-2010
Low and slow!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
02civicsi02 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by boosted2cam
Yeah I dont have a CEL.

Might be a vacuum leak..i can hear a big suction or something..ill check that tonight.

then if it doesnt fit it ill buy a new tbps.
Just let us know how that goes, always happy to help.
Old 01-29-2010
Registered!!

Do i really need to do the idle relearn?

Only thing i took out was the motor and did a auto to manual then i took out and cleaned the iac but didnt take the tb out.

It was doing it before thats why I decided to clean the IAC.

I thought you just had to do the idle relearn only when you take the TB out?

Thanks for the help

Last edited by boosted2cam; 01-29-2010 at 05:39 PM.
Old 01-29-2010
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

if you take the iac off, you need to do the idle learn. trust me this happens all the time when i disconnect my battery and forget to relearn the idle. i dont even have to remove anything, it will still mess up and get stuck at hi rpms before falling back down. thats why i hate disconnecting battery unless its for something really important.
Old 01-30-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
if you take the iac off, you need to do the idle learn. trust me this happens all the time when i disconnect my battery and forget to relearn the idle. i dont even have to remove anything, it will still mess up and get stuck at hi rpms before falling back down. thats why i hate disconnecting battery unless its for something really important.
Ok i did it but still get stuck around 1500 rpm then drops...
I warm up the car, turn off, pull fuse, crank up let idle for 10 mins, turn off turn back off and drove around the block...

what else can it be?
How can i check for vacuum leak? Will a vacuum leak cause it to stick like that? I figure vacuum leak would be cause it to go up and down...

throttle cable is loose so i know its not that

Thanks
Old 02-03-2010
Registered!!

Old 02-03-2010
Premium Member

you may need new TB/IM and TB/IAC gaskets. the old ones may not be sealing properly. either that or iac wasnt cleaned well enough or has a mechanical problem.
Old 02-03-2010
Registered!!

let me try to clean the iac again...

When you pull the fuse do you have to wait like 30 secs? or just pull then put right back in? the battery stays connected?
Old 02-03-2010
Premium Member

you just pull the FI ECU fuse for a few seconds yeah. battery can stay connected.