Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2001 Honda Civic Windshield Wiper Issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ViLLainZ is an unknown quantity at this point
2001 Honda Civic Windshield Wiper Issues

I poked around a bit but didnt find anything so hopefully this hasnt been posted before. My wiper blades have gone off track and just not sure what it is. They will stay on track but then they will either start slamming the bottom of the windshield or the frame on the drivers side. I tried adjusting the wipers thinking maybe the bolt came loose but if I do this it either slams the frame more or the bottom of the windshield again.

Im just wondering if its potentially I can fix myself or will I have to take it to a shop. I will note my expertise at electronics ends at hooking up a gaming system to a TV haha
Old 01-29-2010
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
Re: 2001 Honda Civic Windshield Wiper Issues

You might check the nuts under the black rubber caps, They may have worked loose. Don't over tighten.
Old 01-29-2010
Low and slow!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
02civicsi02 will become famous soon enough

^^^ This is probably your problem, the wipers are probably just loose so just tighten them and see if that works.
Old 01-30-2010
Registered!!

I did lift the rubber caps and messed w/ the bolts but the problem continued. Could this potentially be a "motor" problem? is there a motor that runs the wipers? could they be shot? Thx for the replies thus far
Old 01-30-2010
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

I remember someone on an Accord thread once said that the tiny grooves cut into the wiper arm base where it goes over the 2 protruding mounting shafts where worn down and it was unable to grip tightly and they would slip.
Old 02-13-2010
Registered!!

Ill take a look at that thank you
Old 09-28-2010
Registered!!

ngoman is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm having the same issue with my 2003 honda civic. Would you mind letting me know how you fixed it? Thanks!
Old 09-18-2011
Registered!!

KingArthur is an unknown quantity at this point

Did anyone get this problem fixed? I too have a 01 Civic and the passenger side wiper is slamming down on the plastic at the bottom of the windshield. This is real annoying and need to get something done.
Old 09-18-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

you need new wiper arms, and possibly the base where it mounts. its due to the gears getting flattened and not able to hold the wiper in one position. so it slips and goes off the window.
Old 09-18-2011
Registered!!

KingArthur is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gearbox
you need new wiper arms, and possibly the base where it mounts. its due to the gears getting flattened and not able to hold the wiper in one position. so it slips and goes off the window.

Thanks, I check the base of the wiper arm and it had a wore spot on the spline. I put some teflon tape around gear on the car, aligned the wiper are alittle higher then put a washer on top, then put the nut on...good and tight. I hope this works.
Old 09-18-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

it should last for a while, but eventually the tape will wear out and back to the same problem.