Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

POSSIBLE OVERHEATING --tricky, but PLEASE HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
krystiferrari is an unknown quantity at this point
POSSIBLE OVERHEATING --tricky, but PLEASE HELP!!!

want to apologize if this is a repeat question, but it's kind of a specific situation so I wanted to take the time to explain.

Okay, I have a 2005 Honda Civic EX SE 2 Door Coupe 1.7L 4Cylinder Automatic. It has about 120k miles on it (I do a lot of driving). A few months ago when it was absolutely freezing out, I noticed that my heat did not work ONLY on my feet, so I was using it on the vents up top. Than, I noticed that the heat would only work intermittently, didn't really think anything of it I guess, thought it was just cold out. Now, a few weeks ago, I was driving home and noticed that my temperature gauge was ALLL the way up past hot, but I didn't smell anything burning, the car SOUNDED fine. So I called my uncle the next morning (he is my go-to guy for car stuff) and brought it over there, he said that the radiator hose was EXTREMELY pressurized, so we let it cool down opened it up, refilled with anti-freeze/coolant, and I bought a new radiator cap from the dealer, thinking maybe it was just loose or something. Was okay for a week or 2, than the gauge started overheating again --bought a thermostat, but never got it put in because, again, the problem stopped happening. But THIS TIME when my uncle looked at it, there was almost NO antifreeze left at all. So we refilled again, and now today, the gauge is going up again. Seems that it goes UP when I accelerate and down when I brake. I have never changed my timing belt/water pump, etc. or the thermostat, just regular oil changes, got my trans fluid flushed a few times. I just find it weird that it doesn't happen ALL the time, only intermittently. Also, is it maybe that there is a leak since when we looked at it it was almost gone? PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP!!! I don't have a problem paying to get fixed whatever needs to be done, but I don't want to get ripped off either so that's why I want to try to get as much info as possible before I take it somewhere! THANK YOU! e-mail me if you want any further info krysti.ferrari@yahoo.com