Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

clicking noise on idle/accel transition

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
brokedown711 is an unknown quantity at this point
clicking noise on idle/accel transition

Picked up an 03 es1 last week and I noticed a "click" noise that happens after idling and then acclerating. It's only on this transition, is not repetitive (not a rotating noise like with the engine)

I was thinking compliance bushings?! I had it looked at and the tech said it seems to be the axles and I could unbolt them and grease the splines since thats a common problem and he's had brand new cars in that do the same thing.

What do you guys think?
Old 06-15-2009
Registered!!

Re: clicking noise on idle/accel transition

anyone?
Old 06-16-2009
Registered!!

ridebmx1664 is an unknown quantity at this point

I think I have the same problem on my 04. Almost a ticking sound. Not like a metronome. But it almost speeds up as the car speeds up. Mine stops at about 40 or 50 KM/h. Someone told my is was the CV joint? the boot around it is worn?

Dont know if that helps at all. But I want a answer as well lol

cheers
Old 06-17-2009
Registered!!

mine isn't repetitive, or speed dependent, so im thinking CV joint is not the problem. it's literally one or two "clicks" when the axles are torqued from idling

easy way for you to test if yours is caused by the axle/cv is to crank the wheel to either side and drive in reverse (then try the other side).
Old 06-17-2009
Whachya lookin at?

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

If your moving very slowly while turning your wheel (IE. backing out of a parking spot). can you hear it?
Old 09-09-2009
Registered!!

coolhonda is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: clicking noise on idle/accel transition

Originally Posted by brokedown711
Picked up an 03 es1 last week and I noticed a "click" noise that happens after idling and then acclerating. It's only on this transition, is not repetitive (not a rotating noise like with the engine)
My 2000 civic did this last week, and also on reverse. No repetition just click to move off. I took it to dealer service, they recommend replace L/F axle assembly. They said it will get louder but otherwise not urgent or life threatening. I had noticed that my right front tire was low for a while but kept forgetting it, yesterday I filled it, it was almost flat. THE TICK HAS GONE. Does this make sense to anybody?
Old 09-11-2009
Registered!!

madAd is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds like maybe just a little bit of looseness in your CV, or the diff rings. Grease in the spline might help to take out any slack that's there, and quiet things down.

When my car was still under warranty it made a clicking sound when I turned to, the right, I think. But more of a constant sound while at a slow speed. They said they had to replace something in the trans. Mine's a manual though, I don't know what yours is.