Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Looking for some good advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
manster972 is an unknown quantity at this point
Looking for some good advice

My 01 LX AT transmission is shot, started hearing noise coming from the engine bay last week & this past Monday on the way to work the check engine light came on. I first took it to autozone during my lunch break since they will codes for you for free. Code that came up was P0740 torque converter malfunction. I took it to the dealer that night to do a diagnostics & they said I will need to get it replaced, quoted me a price of 3,800 for tranny & labor, which I'm not going to do. I called a couple of transmission shops & I get quotes of 2000 to 2500 just to get it rebuilt. I'm pretty sure there are more economical routes that I could take to fix it. I was told to stay away from used trannys from 2001-02 since their all ticking time bombs that can go off at anytime. Would 04 & 05 tranny fit in a 01, since there hasn't been many reported issues with these. I bought this car 7 1/2 yrs ago because Honda civics are reliable & have low maintenance cost, & at least give you ten good years or more. This hasn't been the case with this car. I'm just looking for some suggestions on getting the tranny fixed without giving up a arm ans a leg.
Old 03-18-2009
My Pony Princess is the inspiration for my ride.

speedfoos is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Looking for some good advice

Yes, all the tranny's from 01-05 are interchangeable.

If you're at all handy with a wrench and have two jack stands and a floor jack you can swap the tranny yourself in about 8 hours if you've never done it before.

Check car-part.com for a used tranny. Where are you located? There are several of us spread throughout the states who can help you with it.
Old 03-18-2009
Registered!!

southeastern Mass. about 10 miles outside Providence R.I.
Old 03-18-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

yeah best bet is find a used 04-05 trans and put that in. dont bother rebuilding unless you know a really good shop and then you should get ahold of the TCI master racing overhaul kit to rebuild with. i doubt you will ever need a new trans after that. it comes with a ton of new upgraded parts including the clutches. also whatever you do, i suggest getting a small trans oil cooler and inline filter (the one from 7thgen civic HX works well) for the new ttrans you get.
Old 03-18-2009
Registered!!

I see a couple used of 04 Trannys between 1000 & 1200 dollars, Would I need purchase any addtional parts in order to complete this swap.