Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Help with CEL - P1259

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bricem is an unknown quantity at this point
Help with CEL - P1259

I'm hoping that the collective genius of the forums can help me out on this one. About a month ago, my car (01 Civic EX sedan) starting throwing P1259 codes (have a ScanGauge so I can reset it). It hasn't affected my driving at all but I'd like to figure out what's wrong.

It doesn't come on every time I start my car but happens a couple times a week and it's normally when it's below freezing outside. Not related to VTEC engagement at all. Sometimes I'll reset it and it doesn't trip again for a day or 2, other times I'll reset it and it'll come back 30 seconds or so later. I tried cleaning out the VTEC solenoid but that doesn't seem to have done anything (didn't think it would since it doesn't seem related to VTEC usage).

So, my thoughts are that it's electrical :-( and that seems like it'll be a bitch to fix. Anything else I should try before hitting the dealership? If you need any additional info about the car, let me know and I'll update the post. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-03-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Help with CEL - P1259

P1259 VTEC System Malfunction

i tried cleaning mine too and it fixed it for a few months, but in the end i had to buy a whole new solenoid to fix the problem. it doesnt really affect the way the car drives, because vtec only works above 4500 rpms when you floor the gas pedal. otherwise i did notice the auto trans was not shifting as fast.
Old 03-04-2009
Registered!!

DieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of light

check that the solonoid and the switch are working. there on the passsenger side just behind the EGR.

oh if your running a EX ecu an a D17A1 then u'll get these codes asthe hardware isint there.
Old 03-05-2009
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
P1259 VTEC System Malfunction

i tried cleaning mine too and it fixed it for a few months, but in the end i had to buy a whole new solenoid to fix the problem. it doesnt really affect the way the car drives, because vtec only works above 4500 rpms when you floor the gas pedal. otherwise i did notice the auto trans was not shifting as fast.
Yeah, it hasn't been affecting my VTEC at all. I just reset it while I'm driving and the VTEC activates like normal if I floor it. I've got a manual so it just shifts slower if I'm lazy ;-)
Old 03-05-2009
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

yeah i used to do that but it would keep coming on if i went above 2800rpms. i got tired of constantly resetting the light, and i think it may affect gas mileage. just grab a new one and swap it out if you can. its not very hard to replace. also im not sure if this is the reason, but whenever i drove the car hard and long distance, the light came on all the time. i think maybe the oil is too thin and causing a problem (5w20), so now im using 5w30. i switched when i replaced the new solenoid so i cant say for sure, but maybe next time switch to thicker oil if you live in hot climate. also be sure the oil is at the top of the dipstick.
Old 03-05-2009
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
yeah i used to do that but it would keep coming on if i went above 2800rpms. i got tired of constantly resetting the light, and i think it may affect gas mileage. just grab a new one and swap it out if you can. its not very hard to replace. also im not sure if this is the reason, but whenever i drove the car hard and long distance, the light came on all the time. i think maybe the oil is too thin and causing a problem (5w20), so now im using 5w30. i switched when i replaced the new solenoid so i cant say for sure, but maybe next time switch to thicker oil if you live in hot climate. also be sure the oil is at the top of the dipstick.
Hmm, now that you mention it, I didn't start seeing this issue until I started running 5w20 again. I was running Valvoline MaxLife 5w30 and I started seeing it a week or two after switching to Mobil1 5w20. I'm still running the 5w20 at the moment but I'll try switching back on the next oil change.
Old 03-05-2009
Premium Member

yeah the problem is most oils will shear down after some driving, so the 5w30 prolly becomes 5w20 over time. and the 5w20 becomes even thinner.