Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2003 LX transmission hesitation

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Feralmetal is an unknown quantity at this point
2003 LX transmission hesitation

So i recently bought a civic 03 lx, very well maintained, automatic, with just under 98000kms on it.

Everything works perfectly and it runs well, but theres one minor thing that ive noticed with it. The first thing is when i put it into reverse, the car seems to give a good shake for half a second and then is fine, like a really hard gear shift.

Also i dont know if this is the transmission or what, but whenever the tranny shifts gears, theres a slight delay before it kicks in, like a hesitation, during this time the motor revs another 1k or so, then drops back down to normal, you can feel a slight lurch as well. Also this seems to be more pronounced when the car is cold, but fades a bit when the car is warm.

Im afraid it may be to do with the transmission as ive heard that the trannies are one of the worst problems for civics. Anyone have any idea or advice?
Old 10-20-2008
7thgens official a$$hole

ajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to behold
Re: 2003 LX transmission hesitation

Sounds like the Transmission is slipping. Sucks for you man.
Old 10-26-2008
Registered!!

jee88 is an unknown quantity at this point

yo dood, have u checked ur fluid level? if not do it ASAP!! my old exploder did the same thing and then the tranny went. i was neglecting it cuz i hated it but i was stupid for not checking the fluid. it was a 91 eddie buer i got for a G and a new tranny was gnna cost a lot more so i just let it go for 4 bills, so make sure u check that asap or ur gonna have a big *** bill
Old 11-06-2008
Registered!!

Feralmetal is an unknown quantity at this point

The fluid is fine, and it was just changed, I took it into a shop and they believe its a bad clutch pack, so I have two options.

Either I get the thing rebuilt for about 2k, or I replace it with another tranny for slightly more 2.4k or so. From what I hear it seems the rebuilts will only last so long again anyways. But I could get an 04 tranny put into it.

Would an 04 tranny be the better way to go? Would there be any problems with having it installed?
Old 11-29-2008
Registered!!

BEMM193 is an unknown quantity at this point

Funny, i have the same problem but its a problem that came up recently. I have an auto 2002 DX and iv only had the car for under six months. When i bought the car it wasnt so cold outside so i didnt notice this slight hesitation when shifting gears. Now when i drive the car without letting it properly warm up, it hesitates. As soon as iv driven it for a while and the engine is warm, it shifts normally. I showed it to a mechanic and she said its simply because I'm not warming it up before driving it. I checked the ATF and its got about half left and the condition is sorta like...in the middle of the life of the fluid so it 'ok'. Any thoughts?