Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

so my car has been sitting

Old 02-19-2008
Go Team Venture!
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
againifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of light
so my car has been sitting

for a lil over a year...

with a move, new job, company truck, life in general... i just sorta forgot about my civic.. i parked it one day and then just never looked at it again...

for some reason i started thinking about it the other day so i threw a charger on the batter (which is dead as... dead but the charger got me enough juice to turn it on.. NOT START IT.. im not that stupid.. but enough to power it up and see how much gas i left it with)

so... turns out i left it with about a 1/4 tank of gas, only about 500 miles since the last oil change... and well.. thats prettymuch all that matters i guess
i have not looked at the coolant yet

so needless to say the batter is dead
fuel is prolly a thick pile of goop.. turns out my gf added a bit of stabalizer about 6 months into this unplanned storage time.. she said she added somewhere around half a bottle.. but didnt start the car so who knows...
and who knows what the coolant is doing cuz i have not looked yet

this weekends project just might be getting this thing running again... so who knows what about getting a car out of storage that was not set up for storage

i figure i need to
-get some oil back into the block
-change the oil/filter
-get the fuel out
-change fuel filter
-maybe do something with the coolant

anyone know anything helpful.....

im fully aware that this was a stupid move on my part and that for $40 i could have gotten a trickle charger and some fuel stabalizer... and if i had taken 3 seconds out of my month to press my remote start button twice i could have had the car run for 20 minutes without having to sit there/remember to shut it off...
Old 02-19-2008
Registered!!

reddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to all
Re: so my car has been sitting

Originally Posted by againifall
im fully aware that this was a stupid move on my part and that for $40 i could have gotten a trickle charger and some fuel stabalizer... and if i had taken 3 seconds out of my month to press my remote start button twice i could have had the car run for 20 minutes without having to sit there/remember to shut it off...
Sooo... ever get that warrant taken care of?

Seriously, I think an oil change would be the first order of business... and after that the fuel filter I suppose. Is there any benefit to disconnecting the fuel rail and blowing out all the crappy gas thats stuck in the fuel lines?

Someone else chime in, I just wanted to know about the warrant, lol.
Old 02-20-2008
Go Team Venture!

againifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of light

hahaha holycrap you remembered that.... i delt with that.... 3 years ago?... before i moved to socal (a few months before i stoped posting)... cost me about $1200 to take of that.. $300 fine, $150 in court costs and the rest was plane tickets, hotel, rental car and whatevers

blowing out the lines is prolly a good idea.. im not sure if whats there would even spray of if its just gunna clog stuff up..
either way.. oil change is a must.. other than just letting it flow in from the top.. is there a better way to get a few drops in other places or something.. remove the sparkplugs and get some dowin in there or something?

isint the fuel filter ontop of the gastank or in some other retarded spot thats not easy to get to when yer fat?
Old 02-20-2008
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

change every fluid you can, put some lubecontrol.com products in gas and oil, and take it for a long freeway run once you get new battery. make sure theres no animals living anywhere they shouldnt be lol
Old 02-22-2008
Go Team Venture!

ugh... why wont it stop raining... does anyone wanna do this for me

i just read the fuel filter diy...

good effin god... think i really need to change that?

Last edited by againifall; 02-22-2008 at 08:38 PM.
Old 02-22-2008
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

no dont worry about it, just do the big things.
Old 02-22-2008
Go Team Venture!

ok... now the really big question... can i drive it to the dealership and have them change the oil... im willing to dump some in the top and get it down in behind the sparkplugs and whatever... i just dont want to deal with changing it myself... im that friggin lazy...

also.. should i syphon the 1/4 tank of gas thats in it.. or just fill it up...

im amazed at how lazy i have gotten...
Old 02-22-2008
Go Team Venture!

also... hi gearbox.. long time no see.. glad yer still helpin people and are you getting paid to do this yet cuz you really should be
Old 02-22-2008
Premium Member

lol not getting paid, altho i just got hired at advance auto parts so ill be doing the same thing over there. try and tow it to the dealer, its gonna be really bad to drive it like that. dont complain about rain, i have a layer of ice and a foot of snow on my car now cant do anything. siphon gas prolly wont work, its at the bottom and if you can get a tube that far down, it wont work well since its near the ground anyway. isnt there a tank drain valve or something? hmm. leaving it there prolly isnt a great idea. but if you have to, maybe it wont hurt. just use the lubecontrol stuff asap.
Old 02-22-2008
"mmmBAHHHH" - vtec y0

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond repute

holy crap you randomly pop out of the woodwork dont you. glad to see your alive lol
Old 02-22-2008
Go Team Venture!

i was gunna use a syphon pump... not my mouth... grrrr... changing my own oil... blah... and this lubecontrol stuff.. is there a chain that carrys it or is it some sorta special online order only sauce..

Originally Posted by mugenman
holy crap you randomly pop out of the woodwork dont you. glad to see your alive lol
i have a way of doin that... im glad im still alive too..
Old 02-22-2008
Premium Member

online only, just get some, its the only stuff that actually works. get the gallon of each and it will last for years. fp-plus for gas and lc20 for oil.
Old 02-22-2008
Go Team Venture!

gotcha... soon as i confirm my car is not a paperweight ill order both..

also.. it was really nice putting 50k on my worktruck lastyear and 0 on my vic...
Old 02-23-2008
Registered!!

bomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond repute

trying to siphon the gas out of the tank won't work on are car's due to the way they designed the filler pipe you end up just throwing a code if you try sticking a tube down it. there is a drain valve though on are tanks you will probably have to jack up the back end and crawl under the car to get to it I believe it's on the side facing towards the front of the car in the middle but don't quote me on the location.

Your biggest problem is going to be the gasoline because gas does go bad after a while, the coolant will be fine and the oil will be fine if it's just a year. The biggest thing that I say you do is pop the hood pull all of the coil packs and crank to build up oil pressure before you start it cause all of the oil is sitting in the pan after a year. Or open the glove box pop the little side clips out of it so it folds all the way open and there are two little block shaped things(relays) ones blue the other i think is brown pull the blue one and this cuts the fuel pump so you can crank the engine to build up oil pressure.

If it was my car I would grab a couple cans of fresh gas and pour it in since you only have like a have a 1/4 tank of old gas. And since gas when it gets old it tends to mostly just separate, and also gasoline tends to blend very well. Pouring the new gas will stir up the tank and grab a couple of friends rock the back of the car a little bit to get it all mixed together and then I would start it up. I bet it will start up just fine Honda makes some pretty tuff motors. I have gotten bad gas before I have never heard of it killing an engine before but I know the engine tends to hate it, it usually coughs and sputters and tries to stall out on you it's nasty sounding. But once you get through that bad gas the cars always tend to run fine.

But most importantly do what you feel comfortable with
Old 02-23-2008
Premium Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
civic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond repute

My car was sitting since feburary of last year. I did alot of work to it and I just never drove it. I ran it about 2 months ago and it ran good until I got into high boost. I dumped in a bottle of octane boost and filled up with some fresh gas and she runs like a raped date now.
Old 07-06-2008
Go Team Venture!

update:

changed the oil, droped in a new battery, new wiperblades, finally connected the headlights, sprayed it off with the hose, hit the remote start button twice and it started right up.... drove to the gas station and filled it up... now ive been starting it 2-3 times a week and letting it run for 20 minutes....

only problem so far is that since i never hooked up the headlights they are filled with dust/sand since the blinker/marker plugs were never hooked up either... no do i feel like opening them up and dealing with this.. or do i just want to buy some new ones....

next weekend i might finally register it... who knows.. i may even drive it again someday...