Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

3rd gear pops out

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007
My car is goin to have a new look!!!
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Deception2k1civic has a spectacular aura aboutDeception2k1civic has a spectacular aura aboutDeception2k1civic has a spectacular aura about
3rd gear pops out

well i have an 01 civic with about 71000 miles. my clutch is very bad and i need a new one. my question is will a bad clutch make it not stay in third gear. this is the situation and can shift from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd. if i stay in 3rd and just cruise its fine. when i left off the gas thats when it pops out of third. any ideas on what this could be?
Old 08-24-2007

Deception2k1civic has a spectacular aura aboutDeception2k1civic has a spectacular aura aboutDeception2k1civic has a spectacular aura about
Re: 3rd gear pops out

anyone?
Old 08-26-2007
Registered!!

civictech is an unknown quantity at this point

if your clutch is bad than you will slip gears. this should clear as you replace your clutch.
Old 08-26-2007

yeah i know that it will slip. i want to know if changing the clutch will fix my problem of it poping out of 3rd gear. or if it could be something more like the syncros or something else.
Old 08-26-2007
5rj
Registered!!

5rj is an unknown quantity at this point

this is also happening to me, and its starting to happen more frequently, i have a manual 01 dx 92k miles
Old 08-27-2007
Registered!!

YSIDRAG is an unknown quantity at this point

the answer to your question is no. in 01 there was a TSB sent out by honda that the 3rd gear shift fork was bent at time of install from the factory. it worked for some time till there was wear put on the trans and on its internal componets. i also have an 01 it has done it for the last 30k miles i have been driving it. there is no recall do to the fact that it is not a safty issiue. call your closest honda dealer or even better stop by and ask them for a print off of the TSB on the 3rd gear problem. it will tell in detail what you need to do to fix the problem. when you have your clutch replaced have it done then. cuz the case will have to come apart to fix this problem. hope this helps you.

JAY
Old 08-27-2007

anyone do this before? any idea on how much new parts will be
Old 08-27-2007
Registered!!

YSIDRAG is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Deception2k1civic
anyone do this before? any idea on how much new parts will be
im realy not sure on price of parts. they will probley be dealer parts only give them a call on parts price. and if you have a trans shop put your clutch in they should beable to install and fix the 3rd gear problem aswell.

jay
Old 08-28-2007
Registered!!

VinhTEC is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by YSIDRAG
the answer to your question is no. in 01 there was a TSB sent out by honda that the 3rd gear shift fork was bent at time of install from the factory. it worked for some time till there was wear put on the trans and on its internal componets. i also have an 01 it has done it for the last 30k miles i have been driving it. there is no recall do to the fact that it is not a safty issiue. call your closest honda dealer or even better stop by and ask them for a print off of the TSB on the 3rd gear problem. it will tell in detail what you need to do to fix the problem. when you have your clutch replaced have it done then. cuz the case will have to come apart to fix this problem. hope this helps you.

JAY
Yup that is right on the money, to bad you have to sell your children and give up an arm and a leg for a thrid gear, sycronizer, a thrid shift fork, and some bearings from the dealer. Oh yeah and replace the clutch too while your at it your better off calling a junkyard or something. I just called LKQ automotive and they quoated me 750 for a used manual EX trans. Good Luck man !