Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Outside Smell When A/C is On

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
castim is an unknown quantity at this point
Outside Smell When A/C is On

Hi All,

My a/c stopped working on my '01 Civic LX. The evaporator was the problem and was replaced. Now I've noticed that when i turn on the a/c with the recycle button on, outside air still seeps in the car cabin. I notice it especially when I drive by a diesel truck. The exhaust makes it in the cabin. How can I correct this???
Old 02-19-2007
Banned

mani_is_kool is just really nicemani_is_kool is just really nicemani_is_kool is just really nicemani_is_kool is just really nice
hmm u sure they didnt mess up ur RECYCLE button ? liek it might be engaged while off and not engaged while ON ? chk by the speed of ther air and right back ... u might wanna consider changing ur incabin filters too
Old 02-20-2007
Registered!!

castim is an unknown quantity at this point
In order to replace the evaporator, the entire blower assembly needed to be removed. Thats where the problem could be. I tested the recycle button & it seems to work ok (when not on, I feel air through the vents)

Can outside air sipp through where the evaporator piping goes through the engine compartment?
Old 02-20-2007
Banned

mani_is_kool is just really nicemani_is_kool is just really nicemani_is_kool is just really nicemani_is_kool is just really nice
possible
Old 02-20-2007
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
Re-Circ is not an absolute 100% no fresh air brought in. You are bound to get some odors in. Re-Circ will also make your windows fog very quickly.

I try to kill the fan complete if I get behind a diesel or a rich running POS. Then once clear turn it back on.
Old 02-20-2007
Banned

craig is right .. recycler doesnt prevent 100% outside air from coming in ... Hello ??? dont we need O2 to breath man ??? funny i didnt even think of that while posting the first time

Thanks Craig