Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

A/C Pulley PROBLEMS!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007
Ever Wonder What P.O.S.B.A.S. Is An Acronym For

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
P.O.S.B.A.S.04 will become famous soon enoughP.O.S.B.A.S.04 will become famous soon enough
Question A/C Pulley PROBLEMS!!

I have had this horrible loud noise under my hood and for the longest time i thought it was my alternator going out. i replaced my alternator and the noise is still there . i narrowed it down to the pulley just below the alternator. if i am correct that is the pulley for the A/C compressor. i also sprayed WD-40 around that area and it basically killed the noise but only when i am idle. Does anyone know what could cause it to be basically screaming every time i turn on the A/C and even at random times just start squeaking really really really loud?

Thanks for all the help!!
Old 02-11-2007
Pwning Noobs 24/7

DaMadScientist is just really niceDaMadScientist is just really niceDaMadScientist is just really niceDaMadScientist is just really niceDaMadScientist is just really nice
bad news bro, its your AC Compressor....its most likely overheated and seized, thats why you hear the loud squeaking noise, its cause the belts are trying to turn the A/C Compressor and it wont turn, so its putting extra stress on the belts, even if you have your AC off does it make the noise ? It probably seized cause the A/C Compressor Fan was not cooling it...its a $900 job to get it replaced, or you can just take out your AC and never worry about it again
Old 02-11-2007

P.O.S.B.A.S.04 will become famous soon enoughP.O.S.B.A.S.04 will become famous soon enough
yeah, even if it is off it will still make the noise...so i get out and spray WD-40 in the pulley's general direction and it goes away for the most part.

So is the compressor fans not turning another problem...as in if i get a new compressor then the fans will be fine?

Thanks!
Old 02-11-2007
Pwning Noobs 24/7

DaMadScientist is just really niceDaMadScientist is just really niceDaMadScientist is just really niceDaMadScientist is just really niceDaMadScientist is just really nice
well if you get it done at a mechanic...which i highly advise you do...they should check it thoroughly, and if it did seize i would also have them check the fan...thats what happened to mine...mine seized cause the fan did not turn on to cool it. Mine would make a constant noise it sounded like the belt was rubbing against something, and it would only go away if i gave it gas...but it would always come back...eventually if you ignore it...your belt is going to snap...and god knows whats gonna happen.
Old 02-11-2007

Hmm, Well That Sucks! And Seeing As How I Do Not Have $900 To Spare And I Am Assuming It Is Not Under Warranty, Maybe I Should Just Bypass The A/c Pulley With A Smaller Belt! Would You Or Anyone Happen To Know The Size Of The Belt I Would Use To Go Around Just The Alternator And The Crank Pulley??
Old 02-11-2007
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
happens to me in the rain all the time. shop tightened belt and it got better, but it comes back. its the belt
Old 02-11-2007
Registered!!

Matteo will become famous soon enough
ya bro its the belt. I have the Unorthodox Pulley kit, and i had a shop install it for me...so wenever it starts making that annoying sqeaky sound (like every idk say 4-6months) i just bring it in with my reciet and they tighten the belt for free everytime

but ya ur fine just take it to a shop