Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Blinking "D" on Gauge Cluster & no acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2007
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vinnie should not be trustedVinnie should not be trustedVinnie should not be trustedVinnie should not be trusted
Exclamation Blinking "D" on Gauge Cluster & no acceleration

I am having a problem where it seems like my auto tranny is missing a gear, there is no acceleration, the "D" keeps flashing and the check engine light is on.

When I turn on the car, even though I remain in "P" park, the "D" gear indicator on the gauge cluster constantly flashes. Once I shift into "D" (drive) there is a loud shifting noise as it shakes my entire car, and the "D" continues to flash. Now If I try to drive, there is almost no acceleration. It feels similar to being in neutral and just pressing the gas. I can hear the engine struggling with very very slow results. I would describe it as having a manual transmission starting at like 3rd-4th gear.

I brought my car to a local Honda dealer but after an entire day, the mechanic still couldn't pinpoint the exact problem.

After doing a search, I found a couple people had posted a similar problem, however no one followed up as to what the problem turned out to be or how it was fixed. Someone mentioned a "Gear Position Sensor" that wasn't sending the correct signals.

I was wondering if anyone could provide me with any details as to what the problem might be and/or how it can be fixed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 01-27-2007
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang
Wow, that sounds like it sucks. If you bought it from a dealership, take it back and get them to fix it- I dont see why they would sell you a broken car, then not fix it...

as for your problem, first thing i'd check is the tech services bulletins (TSB), they are what the mechanics are supposed to use when you come in with a problem. Follow it and you can fix it yourself.

Other then that, I dont have any thing to offer since I have a manual.

good luck bro
Old 01-30-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EX4Dr is an unknown quantity at this point
I could be the VSS (vehicle speed sensor). A faulty VSS will cause erratic speedometer or no speed reading, the check engine light comes on, and the "D" indicator will flash.
Old 02-02-2007
Registered!!

rice4lyfe will become famous soon enough
There actually is a TSB about this. The powertrain control module (PCM) could possible by damaged by a power surge in the electrical system. If this happens, the Malfunction Inicator Lamp (MIL) may come on. Additional symptoms could be flashing shift indicator lights, inability to shift out of Park, or an erratic engine idle.

Just let Honda know about this.
Old 02-02-2007
Registered!!

or use a OBDII scanner,

Scan it, there could be multiple options

Last edited by rice4lyfe; 02-03-2007 at 12:58 AM.
Old 02-03-2007
Registered!!

clayton4115 is an unknown quantity at this point
hi it sounds like your tranny is farrrked

read the manual its in there.
Old 02-03-2007
Registered!!

TSB's and OBDII diagnosis is not in the manual.
Old 02-03-2007
Administrator
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
electric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond repute
Autozone will hook up the OBDII scanner for free. get the codes and you can search them on google if they don't have a listing.
Old 02-07-2007
Registered!!

crafty999 is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey, i had the same problem with my 01 civic. 500 bucks later, honda tells me it's my ecu computer and it will cost me 700 bucks for a new one. I pulled my ecu out behind the glove box and unplugged it for 10 minutes and hooked it back up and it's been fine for 3 months now. Worth a try or ask your tech to check the ecu computer. They could pop a new one in and test it that way. They did it with mine. anyway, hope this helps
Old 02-10-2007
Registered!!

kiwi133 is an unknown quantity at this point
I've been having very similar symptoms. 2004 civic ex coupe. It has happened twice now. One morning and the next, both were some of the coldest of the year so far around here (Like 8 degrees F) Went out in the morning and started her up. After a minute or so I shifted out of park and into D. Doing so produced a jolt that shook the car (similar feeling to if you park on a steep hill and put it in park without using the handbrake, so that when you take it out of park again its the weight of the car resting on the parking pin) I thought that was odd so I put it back in park and took it out again to have it jolt real bad again. When I tried to go it just reved up as if there was almost no load and the car moved foward maybe an inch. tried in d3 and 2 with the same excessive reving and no go. Sat there for a minute or so wondering how I was going to get to work and fix my car. Tried to go again and it took off like nothing was wrong!
Same thing happend the next morning but it took much less time for it to start working again. Has not happend since and I never got a blinking D or check engine light.
I have also randomly been getting "confused" shifts when the car is below opperating temerature. Everything will be perfectly fine and then the car will seem to get confused midshift and then awkwardly get into the next gear. Its annoying because it might happen to 3 shifts in any gear out of a week of driving.
The car is under warrenty but I don't want to bring it in unless I know they will find something wrong (if they don't I pay an inspection fee)

Would it be worth scanning for error codes even if there is no maintinance light?

My theory is some valve or solenoid is sticky. It seems that if the ecu was to blame it would happen all the time. It could also be a loose connection I guess. The fluid level is perfect, and in great condition. Fluid has been cycled every 15000 miles (drain and fill 2 qts) and there have never been any metal shavings on the magnet.

Asside from the random problems it functions perfectly.

I'm a bit pissed at my car because the point of its purchase was so that I had a car that wouldn't break or give me trouble.

Any advice? thoughts?

Oh and I don't know if its related but I've been getting worse mileage than ever before without changing my driving habbits (last fillup was 25mpg, normally I never get below 30, best 43. One time before I got 25mpg but that was me trying to see how bad I could get my mpg by accelerating hard enough so it shifted past 5k everytime)
Old 02-11-2007
Pwning Noobs 24/7

DaMadScientist is just really niceDaMadScientist is just really niceDaMadScientist is just really niceDaMadScientist is just really niceDaMadScientist is just really nice
na bro, ive read the whole entire service guide, your tranny has a bad sensor most likely it could be the transmisson range switch, imput shaft speed sensor, output shaft speed snesor, shift control system, a/t clutch pressur control valve...a bunch of things, if you could give me a more accurate description, i can go into the service guide and help you pin point your problem, the D light should have long blinks and short blinks to describe what the issue is, there are tons and tons of sensors on the auto tranny as well...the dudes at honda are ****in retarted, if they plug in the DTC scanner it gives them an accurate DTC Code to tell them what is wrong, take it to a real mechanic to be honest...and hopefully it will just be a sensor

Last edited by V-tek; 02-11-2007 at 08:07 AM.
Old 05-04-2011
Registered!!

civicrv is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: Blinking "D" on Gauge Cluster & no acceleration

I had a hitch bracket mounted on my 2006 Civic EX. When I picked it up the ABS/Break lights were flashing as well as the "D" (Drive) light. When I took it to the dealer they said they could see no problem with the hitch mount nor any problems with the breaks or transmission.

They then told me that Honda insists that in order to treat this problem they first replace the ABS module and if this does not work to replace the PCM. The charge would be $1100 for the ABS and $2000 for the PDM.

I asked if they could first attach a good ABS to test before I had to purchase, but alas the answer was no. I asked if they could attach a good PDM to test with the same answer.

Needless to say I am still driving with flashing warning lights. Has anyone faced this type of problem?
Old 05-04-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Blinking "D" on Gauge Cluster & no acceleration

blinking D means transmission problem
Old 09-29-2011
Registered!!

torlife is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello, I know this post was quite some time ago but I am having the same problem with my 1998 civic.

My drive light is blinking no matter what gear I am in. The car had a problem accelerating at first but I turned it off and when I turned it back on the light was still blinking but I was able to drive the car home. I already replaced the transmission twice.

What was the result of what was going on with your car?
Old 09-22-2017
Registered!!

AmandaP is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a 94 honda accord LX and my cars speedometer stopped working and the D4 gear light is blinking and when driving it seems like my car is changing gears when it shouldn't and also the check engine light is on. I have been to two mechanics both are saying the same thing it is the speed sensor which is on the transmission. So if you are having this problem then the speed sensor has probaly went bad and needs to be replaced.
Old 09-25-2017
Registered!!

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
NDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of light

Check the code for the CEL and report back. The format should be PXXXX.