Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Cold Weather

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thrasher086 is an unknown quantity at this point
Cold Weather

Ok so the cold weather is finally hitting New York. My car started up fine but you can tell it was a little hesitant with the weather. I noticed on my 15 minute drive that my temperature gauge would actually start going down waiting at red lights. Does anyone think that could be a problem with my car or the 15 degree weather is what is causing it? I don't believe I ever saw that before but I did get a new radiator last spring.

Also 4 hours later I went to start my car and I had to try 3 times since the engine wouldn't turn. The starter is brand new and My yellow optima battery is only 2 years old. Once again do you guys think its the 15 degree weather? Maybe I am just freaking out since I am not used to the cold yet.
Old 01-19-2007
Registered!!

chickenbuster is an unknown quantity at this point
I had some of the same problems with my car. I live in northern Canada, and it can get pretty cold here too. I noticed the same thing with the tempature gauge going down, when it is really cold (-25c and lower) and i am sitting in the drive thru. Honda told me the problem lies with the block of the engine being aluminum. When you are idling the car, and probably have the heat cranked in the car, it displaces heat faster that it can generate it. Thats why the temp will go back up when you start driving. Hope this helps some!
Old 01-19-2007
Registered!!

Thrasher086 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by chickenbuster
I had some of the same problems with my car. I live in northern Canada, and it can get pretty cold here too. I noticed the same thing with the tempature gauge going down, when it is really cold (-25c and lower) and i am sitting in the drive thru. Honda told me the problem lies with the block of the engine being aluminum. When you are idling the car, and probably have the heat cranked in the car, it displaces heat faster that it can generate it. Thats why the temp will go back up when you start driving. Hope this helps some!
Makes sense to me. These I-4 don't create enough heat. I did have the heat at full blast and noticed it did stop going down when I was finally warm and turned the heat down. Thanks
Old 01-20-2007
Registered!!

bluesteelrock is an unknown quantity at this point
maybe its time for a new water-pump and timing belt ?? try switching to iridiums if you havnt already .