Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

What to do if a dealer will not fix a problem with a car?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nycivic is an unknown quantity at this point
What to do if a dealer will not fix a problem with a car?

I have had a dealer tell me that a problem with my car is normal and that they can't do anymore to fix it. At this poitn, what should I do? I have been back 4 times for the same problem.
Old 03-14-2002
Registered!!

solar is an unknown quantity at this point
Whats the problem???
Old 03-14-2002
Registered!!

Seat rocking issue. I even met with a dealer rep whose response to my problem was...."You know I checked a lot of other cars and they're actually worse than yours." In other words two wrongs Do make a right. Everyone I know has told me that they need to fix this seat. Coincidentally, I have had it repaired 3 times and it's still not right. they don't want to fix it a fourth because then I can go for the LEMON LAW.[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/IMG]
Old 03-14-2002
Registered!!

I've seen a lot of threads about the seats rocking, luckly mine hasn't done that, (knocking on wood), I'd first try another dealer if there's one near by. Call them first and tell them calmly about the problems your having, if they can't help you there is a phone number for Honda USA in the owners manual that states that it will resolve problems after the dealer has exhausted all of its options. I'll see if I can't find the number for you when I go to lunch.
Old 03-14-2002
Registered!!

2cute is an unknown quantity at this point
GET A LAWYER AND SUE THE **** OUT OF HONDA LIKE I AM!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-14-2002
Registered!!

i'd try this first, it'll be a lot cheaper than a lawyer

American Honda Mototr Co. Inc.
Honda Consumer Affairs Dept.
Mail Stop 500-2N-7D
1919 Torrance Blvd.
Torrance, CA 90501-2746

1-800-999-1009

Good Luck
Old 03-14-2002
Registered!!

Yep, I called HONDA they backed up with what the dealer rep said. They actually called me. I told them after all of this that "I am going to have to seek out alternate means of resolving this now" and they said fine. I may have to sue at this point. I contacted the BBB, but that has done nothing for me aside from the dealer appearing to be a little nicer to me. Big Deal.

The thing that pisses me off more than anything is that there are few cars that drive as well as these cars do for the price. After this experience I'd be hard pressed to buy another HONDA.

2Cute, what was your problem and what did your lawyer say? Is this gonna cost you a bundle?
[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/IMG]
Old 03-14-2002
Registered!!

SuziQ is an unknown quantity at this point
i thought u don't have to pay a lawyer unless u win. i guess that's only with lawyers u see on tv
Old 03-14-2002
Registered!!

drbombay is an unknown quantity at this point
why haven't you gone to a different dealer? maybe find someone that can fix it and send honda the bill.

win or lose you're not going to find a lawyer working for free. A lawyer would probably be more expensive than buying new seats.
Old 03-14-2002
Registered!!

Uh well I have had a few more problems with my car than it sounds like you have but, never the less there is knowingly something wrong with your car that they won't fix so your only option is to sue the **** outta Honda. I bought my car March 23, 2001 since then i have had the tranny rebuilt, the alternator replaced, the front ball joint, knuckle bearing and cv boot replaced, there is something wrong with my speedo but they can't reproduce the problem so they wn't fix it, my rotors were warped at 5000 miles they told me they would never replace the rotors but they will regrind them till they can't anymore so I had them do that and it didn't fix the problem said they would do it again but i told them forget it. With the tranny there was a service bullitin on it on my vin number but they wouldn't fix the problem cuz they couldn't reproduce it. I tried calling the 800 number listed above did absolutly no good sent me back to the dealership. The 800 number told me there are no reclamations on my car NOT TRUE!!! I have been through 3 dealerships now all of which don't want to do their jobs. I have spoken to service, sales, general and zone managers none of which wanted to help. HONDA JUST DOESN'T WANT TO STAND BEHIND THE SH!TTY PRODUCTS THEY PRODUCE. As far as the lawyer is concerned i pay NOTHING. I will never have to pay him win or lose. California lemon law says that the dealership has to pay all lawyers fees. DO NOT go through the BBB you will not get much that way. Going throught the BBB is not a law suit it is an arbitration which says that you sit down with Honda and a "neutral" (crock of ****) party to figure out the best resolution for the situation. Honda has to pay me the $10,000 something left on my loan for the car they have to pay me $6,600 for all the money that i have put into the car which includes al payments and intrest on loan and all after market products and they have to pay my lawyer. I'm telling you GET A LAWYER!!!!! I will post what the lemon law is for New York when i find it again. If i were you i would sue Honda.
Old 03-14-2002
Registered!!

Here is a link to the New York state lemon law:

New York Lemon Law
Old 03-14-2002
Registered!!

SuziQ is an unknown quantity at this point
you aint no joke 2cute! good luck gurl!
Old 03-14-2002
Registered!!

Diznavis is an unknown quantity at this point
call another dealer that you havent dealt with before, DONT tell them the story, just take it in to be fixed, if they dont get it right, you officially have lemon status, and then call the lawyer (like other people said, do not go through the BBB)

im sure they can fix it by swapping out the whole seat assembly with the 2002 seat assembly.. mine is fine once it locks in (it just takes a little push to lock in if i move the seat, but its really not an issue, just wiggle back and forth one time after moving it and it will click in place and be rock solid from then on, i think it was like that in my old car too, and is probably common in many cars)
Old 03-15-2002
Registered!!

2Cute. thanks for the info on the NY LEMON LAW. I actually bought my car in CONNECTICUT. I have a copy of their LEMON LAW and will file through that state. Problem is, I don't think I can just take it to a NY Dealer now because it's like starting all over then! I have considered calling American HONDA and letting them know that if it isn't repaired that i will launch a website to expose all of this nonsense. I will recruit as many people as I can who are fed up to add their stories to the site. I have the resources to do this. As far as going for the LEMON LAW, like I said, they will not make a fourth repair. That's obvious. Although their refusal to fix the problem also entitles me to site the LEMON LAW. I will be doing this as well.
Old 03-15-2002
Registered!!

fourkilos is an unknown quantity at this point
umm heres a thought go to a different dealership... it don't matter which dealer u bought it from, as long as ur under warranty
Old 03-15-2002
Registered!!

ummm.....I am taking it to another dealership this week!