Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

A/C Sucks

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ES2Slow4Me is an unknown quantity at this point
A/C Sucks

I got my '01 EX about a month or ago. I have a lot of small issues with the car. The biggest and most noticable is the A/C. It's pretty much useless. I have to turn it all the way up for it to blow even a little cool air. Even at full blast, all the way into the blue, i can't feel the air past the steering wheel. My question is, does the Civic just have crappy A/C, or do I have a problem? Is it as simple as refilling my refridgerant. It wouldn't need to be refilled if it wasn't leaking somewhere, right? Could it be a belt or pump issue somewhere? I dont know anything about these cars yet. I need to know how much i'm looking at to have it fixed. And does the Honda extended warranty cover the A/C (and my shaking seats, hood latch, and the window not going all the way down too, while I'm at it).
Old 06-18-2006
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

tinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nice
Did you get it from a dealer as a certified pre-owned car? If so, take it back and have them check ALL those things. The seats are a known issue, there's a TSB on it. The AC may be low on R134, but it's not that strong to begin with. I know that on a Hot day in LA, it's damn near useless.
Old 06-18-2006
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
i miss my 87 jetta a/c with, mmmm freon. so nice and cold, like sticking head in freezer. i dont even use mine unless its once a week to get the lube flowing so it doesnt break. it hogs precious hp too.
Old 06-18-2006
Registered!!

xtreme26 has a spectacular aura aboutxtreme26 has a spectacular aura aboutxtreme26 has a spectacular aura about
^^ what hp
Old 06-19-2006
Registered!!

Cwsl02 is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking

Originally Posted by xtreme26
^^ what hp

LOL!!!!!!
Old 06-19-2006
Registered!!

Devani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond repute
you might want to check/replace the cabin filter.....

if it's dirty it will help somewhat..
Old 06-19-2006
Crayons taste like purple...

shroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to behold
might wanmt to take it to the dealer and ask them to test the system...might have a clog somewhere...thats the best bet...wouldn't doubt it if it's in the condensor or the orifice tube.....
Old 06-19-2006
Registered!!

utahbmxer is an unknown quantity at this point
Cabin Filter

I have had my '01 LX for about 2 1/2 years now and lately the AC (airflow) sucked bad. I could hardly feel any air coming out. I thought I might have some ducts that were broken or something like that. I just barely replaced my filters and the damn thing blows like a tornado now! I highly suspect your filters are dirty, esp if its an '01 like mine. They were way black and had leaves covering them. Cost $17 from Napa.

An easy way to check before buying new ones, take them out and put the cover back on. Then try your vents, you should have tons more airflow. If you need to replace them, check this below.

Originally Posted by Storm897
Dust and Pollen Filter Replacement (With Air Conditioning)

NOTE: LHD type is shown, RHD type is symmetrical.
The dust and pollen filters should be replaced every 48,000 km (30,000 miles) or 24 months whichever comes first. Replace the filters more often if the air flow is less than usual.
1.) Open the glove box.
2.) While holding the glove box (A), remove the glove box stop (B) on each side.

3.) Hang the glove box down.
4.) Remove the filter lid (A) from the blower unit, then pull out the first dust and pollen filter (B). Slide the second filter to the left and pull it out.

5.) Remove the filter (A) from the housing (B) and replace the filter.

6.) Install the filters in the reverse order of removal.
Old 06-19-2006
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
really you could go without them, its pretty much pointless to filter the air unless you're going on a long trip with the windows up. as soon as the windows go down, all the dirt comes in anyways. maybe it might keep the interior cleaner tho...
Old 06-19-2006
Registered!!

I'll try that first, checking the filter. It's constantly dusty here in the desert. Hopefully that helps enough to be comfortable.
Old 06-25-2006
Registered!!

I checked the filters. They were both dirty. Leaves, paper, bird feathers, dust, ect. My new filters come in tomorrow. The air blows out way colder and stronger without the filters. I'm just rolling without them for now.
Old 06-28-2006
Registered!!

Valdeezy is a name known to allValdeezy is a name known to allValdeezy is a name known to allValdeezy is a name known to allValdeezy is a name known to allValdeezy is a name known to allValdeezy is a name known to allValdeezy is a name known to all
Originally Posted by utahbmxer
I have had my '01 LX for about 2 1/2 years now and lately the AC (airflow) sucked bad. I could hardly feel any air coming out. I thought I might have some ducts that were broken or something like that. I just barely replaced my filters and the damn thing blows like a tornado now! I highly suspect your filters are dirty, esp if its an '01 like mine. They were way black and had leaves covering them. Cost $17 from Napa.

An easy way to check before buying new ones, take them out and put the cover back on. Then try your vents, you should have tons more airflow. If you need to replace them, check this below.
+1 rep for you good looking out
Old 06-28-2006
Don't be a n00b, search ftw

01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future
I just replaced my cabin filters (25 dollar Bosch ones from Autozone) and holy hell, does it blow. It's probably about twice as much airflow as before. The filters were just plain filthy. Not a bad investment IMO. I think I'll be checking them every 6 months and replacing them accordingly