Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Torque Converter Clutch Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
liubhs02 is an unknown quantity at this point
Torque Converter Clutch Malfunction

Recently my engine light came on. I went to O'Reilly's to get it read. It said it was trouble code P0740 (TCC Malfunction). The guy cleared the code. It hasn't came back on in 2 days of driving including highways. I read that the most common cause is the TCC solenoid is messed up. I went to 2 transmission place to see if they can check it out here's what they told me.

1) Cottman - They can't diagnose what is wrong because the check engine light hasn't come on. But they want me to replace my TCC solenoid anyways for $150 including labor.

2) AAMCO - They think it's not the solenoid. They think it's the torque converter clutch itself that's messed up. They were saying it's common for Honda's to have the lining on the clutch to fall apart at 75K or so. However, they said they can't diagnose it until the check engine light came back on. They said it's really rare for the solenoid to break on Honda. They want to charge $700 for the repair. I asked if I don't fix it, what would happen. They said it would ultimately mess up the transmission.

What y'all think about the problem. Have anyone of you had this problem before?

P.S. does anyone of you know the part number for the TCC solenoid? the dealership doesn't know what I'm talking about.