Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

road noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yingjai is an unknown quantity at this point
road noise

i pretty much like everything about my 04 civic si, except the road noise.. recently, i drove down to the states and on the I-5, the road noise was almost unbearable.. especially when i had to drive like 2 hrs or so on it both ways..
is it possible to sound proof my car for road noise? how much would it cost and how much weight would my car gain?
Old 05-28-2006
Registered!!

^bump^
Old 05-28-2006
this has been an atl01 production..

atl01 will become famous soon enough
could be a wheel bearing going bad. Has it gotten worse over time? this happend to me, it was almost unbearable to drive the car because of the constant roaring noise. I replaced the rear drivers side wheel bearing and it was as quiet as the day if bought it.
Old 05-28-2006
Registered!!

well i bought my car second hand.. and it's was always loud on the highway compared to the 2 sedans in my family that i drove ('91 accord and '98 1.6el).. parts of the american interstate isnt as smooth as canadian highway so it was even louder and crazier.. amazing how my friend was able to sleep on our way back to canada from a day trip.. at least she had some rest.. lol
Old 05-29-2006
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
ya new civics are loud. most of the noise is from crap tires. i put on some bridgestone turanza and the noise went way down. i even stripped all the carpet padding and sound deadener. you can buy sound proofing stuff which helps mostly in the doors. but otherwise i'd say look for quieter tires. www.b-quiet.com
Old 05-29-2006
Registered!!

if i remember correctly, i believe i have bridgestone potenza tires.. are those supposed to be loud? i was gonna wait til i use up my tread before i get new tires..

and where do road noise enter the car mainly from? wondering if it's worth sound proofing my door..
Old 05-29-2006
Registered!!

type_one is an unknown quantity at this point
here...

teamrocs.com/technical/pages/sound_proofing.htm

i followed many of those steps and the noise WAS AMAZINGLY QUIET!!!

of coure in a car u will never get rid of all the noise but follow those steps or tips u will be surprizes how much better the noise is.

Those tires u have are actually pretty quiet i had them myself and they werent to bad but got very noisy at about the 50% wear line so check your tread life and judge from there
Old 05-29-2006
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
all the sound deadening in the world wont help if you have noisy tires like the crapstones
Old 05-30-2006
Registered!!

s13_240sx_92 is an unknown quantity at this point
Civic = Econobox...

You can add some weight to the car by using Dyanmat or some other damping material.

Try look at some car audio shops. Stay away from BestBuy or CC or chain stores. As they don't really deal with custom projects like what you might be asking.

Good Luck
Old 05-31-2006
Registered!!

thanks.. following the guide and doing something similar, would i be adding a lot of weight?
Old 05-31-2006
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
Are you still running the original Potenza RE 92s tires ??

Mine sound like a Mack truck rolling down the road, started at about 22k miles. They are not cupped in any way and have been rotated every 5k since new. BTW those POS tires are only rated at 40k.
Old 05-31-2006
Premium Member

mine were done at 20k^
Old 05-31-2006
Registered!!

im not sure if the original owner rotated the tires.. dont think so though because the rear set looks like it has more tread.. and yes.. he said the tires are original and right now im at about 35k... was about to switch the rear to front soon..
Old 06-03-2006
Registered!!

jameStype is an unknown quantity at this point
ALL civics 04 have way less interior insulation than more expensive makes and models.

There are various sound proofing materials on the market that professional sound and audio teams use.

the roofing material (same as dynomat, but at the fraction of the cost) will help some.

the best material i've read about from a friend is a liquid based mixture that adhere's itself to the metal flooring and frame of the interial cabin of the vehicle and exterior sections of the wheel wells. this seems like the best way to really kill a lot of the road noise. i don't have cost projections for it, but i will subscribe to this thread to keep track of it. i will post the link to this material as soon as i retreive it from my chat history with my car buddy that told me about it.

i'm in the same boat with my 04 civic ex coupe. short trips are fine, but anything over 45 minutes actually gives me a minor headache and is tiring because of all the noise.

==============================================

UPDATE:
here it is. this guy went CRAZY - http://www.secondskinaudio.com/forum...ghlight=deaden

Last edited by jameStype; 06-03-2006 at 02:59 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-03-2006
Registered!!

interesting.. would love to hear about it soon
Old 06-04-2006
Registered!!

yea here it is in case it is obscure in my previous long winded post - here it is. this guy went CRAZY - http://www.secondskinaudio.com/forum...ghlight=deaden

Last edited by jameStype; 06-04-2006 at 12:31 AM.
Old 06-04-2006
Registered!!

insane.. he spent nearly a grand on sound deadening materials for his maxima.. i was thinking more along the lines of half a grand max..
Old 06-04-2006
Premium Member

well, remember to compromise between weight and sound resistance. you can easily put a few hundred lbs in there which will affect the car alot.
Old 06-04-2006
Registered!!

yea i know it is insane. i was thinking the rsx would be a good upgrade, but the guys at the RSX forum are telling me the road noise is almost the same as the civic, bleh.

looks like whatever i decide..i'll have to employ the sound deadening.
Old 06-04-2006
Premium Member

almost the same, ha. rsx is MUCH louder, at least in stock form. i think its the tires tho and that the rims are 16s.
Old 06-04-2006
Registered!!

and i was seriously considering the rsx over the civic before i bought my car lol..