Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

auto tranny problems... again!

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fatbastard is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry auto tranny problems... again!

This is just a rant about my 2001 LX auto sedan... it had its tranny replaced when it had like 80k miles, and now yesterday my tranny completely went broke again and has trouble with changing gears. My car has now 112k miles, and will rev up to 6k rpm in first gear without shifting, and sometimes when i'm lucky it will shift to 2nd, and has trouble going to 3rd and so on.

Since I can't trade in the car in the condition its in, I am planning on getting the tranny repaired and trading it in for a new car... something that is not a HONDA. (Had a 2000 CRV with similar tranny problems and traded it in).
Old 01-26-2006
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
you had it rebuilt only 32k miles ago, I would take it back and have them fix it. It should have came with some type of warranty.

Now I have to ask, is your check engine light on?
Old 01-26-2006
ThE CoRRupToR

dru106 is just really nicedru106 is just really nicedru106 is just really nicedru106 is just really nicedru106 is just really nice
Dam!!! That is really not good to hear cuz I just had my tranny rebuilt at 50k miles and it has a 2yr warranty. I am most definately gonna sell this car before the warranty is over!!!!!!!!
Old 01-26-2006
Registered!!

Fatbastard is an unknown quantity at this point
Yes the check engine light is on. I just read your sticky post.. and everything makes sense. The check engine light has been on for a while, and when I took it to a shop they said it was the O2 sensor, and that it wasn't important to fix. Do you think that caused the tranny failure? Or will the tranny go back to normal if I get a new O2 sensor?
Old 01-26-2006
Registered!!

dragman99 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Fatbastard
Yes the check engine light is on. I just read your sticky post.. and everything makes sense. The check engine light has been on for a while, and when I took it to a shop they said it was the O2 sensor, and that it wasn't important to fix. Do you think that caused the tranny failure? Or will the tranny go back to normal if I get a new O2 sensor?

first of all, any shop that tells you your o2 sensor doesn't need to be fixed is worthless. no offense if their friends of yours. but the o2 sensor is what tells your ecu how to adjust the a/f mixture. but i do know on most honda vehicles, that if their is a tranny problem, the d4 light flickers on your instrument cluster. you could be having another problem that's not in the mechanical part of the transmission. it could be electrical. i had a problem awhile back, where once the got out of first gear it would never go back to first gear. it was just a fuse that now i know about and know what to do next time it happens. basically, my o2 sensor bracket rattled loose and the wiring got into the inner cv boot and frayed the wires causing it to short and blew that fuse. don't be so hasty. i know you've had your transmission rebuilt once, which is a bad sign on that new a car, but it could be something that's totally not in the mechanics of the transmission. automatics can be weird.
Old 01-27-2006
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Fatbastard
your tranny hasnt failed. if the light came on and the tranny started acting up, more then anything there is an electrical problem somewhere preventing the tranny to function properly. it could be anything from a bad TPS sensor to a bad solenoid in the tranny.

you need to start there. As I always tell everyone, if you are ever having a problem and you have a check engine light on, that is the first place you start. Go to autozone and have them check the code for free and then get back to us. they may have said it was an o2 sensor, but it may be something else. Just get it checked to make sure. Once the check engine light has been repaired, the problem should go away.