Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

It won't start...bad starter?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2006
He can only tell us white people apart by the tone of our skin.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
reytito is an unknown quantity at this point
It won't start...bad starter?

So i'm leaving for work and i turn the key....nothing happens. I check the battery, its fine. I check fuses for ignition, starter...they are fine. Could this be the costly product of a starter that needs to be replaced?? Local honda dealership quoted be around $500. I can do it myself for a fraction of the cost, but I need to know 100% that its the starter. Ideas/insight would be WONDERFUL! THanks
Old 01-13-2006
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
well you need to do some testing before you deem it a bad starter.

Now how did you check the battery? Did you try to jump start the car? Also did you have the battery tested?

Also do a visual inspection under the hood first.

Also does it just click when you try and start it or does it not do anything?

You may have a bad starter relay, a bad range switch or interlock switch depending on if you have a manaul or auto tranny.

What you can do is if you have room, havent ever checked with our car, but a trick I learned is take a screwdriver and touch the metal part to the battery terminal at the starter and run it accross to the s terminal of the solenoid, if the engine starts, then the starter is fine, you have to check for another problem in the circuit. If it doesnt start, you may have a bad starter. You can also use a jumper wire from the battery to the S terminal with the s terminal disconnected. this is the manauls method. The method I suggested is something that can be done if you dont have the proper tools.

If you need any other help, let me know.
Old 01-13-2006
Registered!!

pon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nice
Originally Posted by streetglower
well you need to do some testing before you deem it a bad starter.

Now how did you check the battery? Did you try to jump start the car? Also did you have the battery tested?

Also do a visual inspection under the hood first.

Also does it just click when you try and start it or does it not do anything?

You may have a bad starter relay, a bad range switch or interlock switch depending on if you have a manaul or auto tranny.

What you can do is if you have room, havent ever checked with our car, but a trick I learned is take a screwdriver and touch the metal part to the battery terminal at the starter and run it accross to the s terminal of the solenoid, if the engine starts, then the starter is fine, you have to check for another problem in the circuit. If it doesnt start, you may have a bad starter. You can also use a jumper wire from the battery to the S terminal with the s terminal disconnected. this is the manauls method. The method I suggested is something that can be done if you dont have the proper tools.

If you need any other help, let me know.
You do a good job,unfortantly most peps don't post the correct list of problems!
PEOPLE, please, if you want help be specific as to what is happening.
car wount start;
engine rotate Y/N
rotates= this way\no = this way
this would really help all!
(general-not this post)
Old 01-14-2006

Well guys, get this...I go home last night and decide to give it another try out of a gut/instinct, and it starts up no problem. Drove it normal today on some errands and no problem.

The only explaination, and its very unplausible to me, is that it was Friday the 13th, and there was a full moon.

Can anyone offer any explainations? I'd liketo avoid this in the future if at all possible. Thanks
Old 01-15-2006
Registered!!

tarheel365 is an unknown quantity at this point
could be a loose connection somewhere? maybe a loose ground?
did u recently disconnect the battery for any reason?
...when u said nothing happens....
i'm assuming:
lights didn't turn on
engine didn't even try to start
Old 01-15-2006
Registered!!

pon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nice
Originally Posted by reytito
Well guys, get this...I go home last night and decide to give it another try out of a gut/instinct, and it starts up no problem. Drove it normal today on some errands and no problem.

The only explaination, and its very unplausible to me, is that it was Friday the 13th, and there was a full moon.

Can anyone offer any explainations? I'd liketo avoid this in the future if at all possible. Thanks
Dirty battery terminals (bad connection)
Old 01-15-2006

When i said nothing, I meant the engine did nothing. No turning over, etc. All lights/electonics still worked just fine, so it's not the battery terminal.
Old 01-15-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by reytito
When i said nothing, I meant the engine did nothing. No turning over, etc. All lights/electonics still worked just fine, so it's not the battery terminal.
AH-ha info
Std or auto?
Old 01-15-2006
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
I still think you should have the battery checked, especially if the car did start the next time you tried it. It takes a lot more to run the starter than the radio. it doesn't need to be completely dead before the starter won't turn over. another thing to throw into the mix is the alternator, if its not working right, its not charging the battery, which in turn may not have enough juice to start the car.
Old 01-15-2006
Drunken Master-7thgen Ninja

MajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by pon55
AH-ha info
Std or auto?
lets hope its not an STD hahahah
anyway, if its an auto maybe the shifter wasn't in park all the way or something.
if its a manual maybe the clutch sensor is a little sluggish. idk.
Old 01-15-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by MajinB
lets hope its not an STD hahahah
anyway, if its an auto maybe the shifter wasn't in park all the way or something.
if its a manual maybe the clutch sensor is a little sluggish. idk.
thats what i was getting at!
Old 01-15-2006

not an auto. my manual doesn't have a clutch sensor switch. I did a conversion.
Old 01-16-2006
Registered!!

check to wires that should go to that switch.
Old 11-23-2017
Registered!!

Max1990 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: It won't start...bad starter?

It is frustrating when your car won't start. You are turning the key and... nothing happens. Almost every car owner has experienced this. Is it the Battery, Alternator, Spark Plug or Starter Problem? The Common problems of Honda Starter as follow you can check:
1. Dead or Weak battery
2. Poor electrical connections at battery terminals
3. Park or Clutch Switch is Broken or Misadjusted
4. Security System Error
5. Damaged Starter
6. Fuel Delivery Problem
7. Spark Issue
Old 11-24-2017
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

Could easily be a bad starter relay or starter solenoid.

Get familiar with how to manaully engage the starter via jumper wire or the correctly placed screwdriver described above so you have a chance the next time it decides to just sit there.

Starter in our car is wonderfully simple to swap, starter relay under the steering wheel is even easier.. No real easy way to figure which one got stuck if they are working now.
Old 11-24-2017
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Guys,

This thread is over 11 years old

Old 11-27-2017
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

Just think of all those 50yr old barn finds, they prolly got parked originally for a simple fix.....