Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Steering Wheel Vibration Between 50-60MPH

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lexcomman is an unknown quantity at this point
Steering Wheel Vibration Between 50-60MPH

I have a 2004 Honda Civic EX Coupe. It has stock wheels on it and I have always noticed a vibration in the steering wheel between 50-60MPH. I have had this problem with 5 different sets of tires including stock tires. I have had the wheels and tires balanced by 4 different shops trying to fix the problem. Finally I broke down and had a front end alighnment done by the dealership. I am still having this Issue. Any ideas on how to fix the problem?

Old 12-03-2005

starstryke is an unknown quantity at this point
check your camber?
Old 12-03-2005
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

dopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond repute
Camber shouldnt have anything to do with a vibration. I would look into your brakes. Does it do it when slowing down speeding up cruising or what?
Old 12-03-2005
BLDNPSI Mod

tfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by lexcomman
I have a 2004 Honda Civic EX Coupe. It has stock wheels on it and I have always noticed a vibration in the steering wheel between 50-60MPH. I have had this problem with 5 different sets of tires including stock tires. I have had the wheels and tires balanced by 4 different shops trying to fix the problem. Finally I broke down and had a front end alighnment done by the dealership. I am still having this Issue. Any ideas on how to fix the problem?

Vibrations are caused from rotating parts, as in wheels, tires, rotors, hubs, bearings, axles, transmissions, engine........ NOT wheel alignments! Need more info... Does it vibrate when braking, cruising, acceleration, deceleration....... milage on the car, manual , auto,............... any other symptoms?
Old 12-03-2005
Registered!!

It is a 04 Civic EX manual transmission. It has roughly 42000 miles on it. It only really vibrates the steering wheel between 50-60 MPH. I do not have any vibration at 45MPH or less and 65MPH or more. Smooth as can be running down the interstate at 70MPH.
Old 12-03-2005
BLDNPSI Mod

tfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond repute
It is a 04 Civic EX manual transmission. It has roughly 42000 miles on it. It only really vibrates the steering wheel between 50-60 MPH. I do not have any vibration at 45MPH or less and 65MPH or more. Smooth as can be running down the interstate at 70MPH.
any history of accidents or repairs to anything on the front drivetrain/wheels/bearings/brakes ?
Old 12-03-2005
Registered!!

The car doesn't have any accedient history or any other mechanical problems. I bought the car new in Feb. of 2004. It has been a great dependable car. I just keep having this stange vibration in the steering wheel between 50-60MPH. I started to notice it after the car had 20000 miles on it or so.
Old 12-03-2005
BLDNPSI Mod

do you by chance have a second set of wheels you can try on to see if the vibration changes or goes away? you said that they tried even the old stock tires. Where these remounted on stock wheels or do you have custom wheels? Have you tried rotating the tires to see if the vibration changes, or moves to feel like its coming from the rear of the car?
Old 12-04-2005
Registered!!

Unfortunately I do not have another set of wheels. I only have my stock wheels. I have rotated them but the vibration seems to still stay where it is.
Old 12-04-2005
BLDNPSI Mod

Unfortunately I do not have another set of wheels. I only have my stock wheels. I have rotated them but the vibration seems to still stay where it is.
If the vibration didnt change at all then it must be one of the other items causing it... as in rotor, hub, axle, transmission. I would suggest starting by checking the runout on the front hubs. No more than .003" is allowable.
Old 04-09-2015
Registered!!

fgcm1986 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Steering Wheel Vibration Between 50-60MPH

Originally Posted by dopes6070
Camber shouldnt have anything to do with a vibration. I would look into your brakes. Does it do it when slowing down speeding up cruising or what?
Im having the same problem but it happens more when im slowing down without brakes till i get to 45mph
Old 04-09-2015
Registered!!

fgcm1986 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Steering Wheel Vibration Between 50-60MPH

Originally Posted by tfnaaf
Vibrations are caused from rotating parts, as in wheels, tires, rotors, hubs, bearings, axles, transmissions, engine........ NOT wheel alignments! Need more info... Does it vibrate when braking, cruising, acceleration, deceleration....... milage on the car, manual , auto,............... any other symptoms?
Im having the same problem but it happens more when im slowing down without brakes till i get to 45mph