Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

T.p.s

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2005
Crayons taste like purple...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
shroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to behold
T.p.s

Throttle Position sensor....I was discussing this as a possibility in lieu of my current circumstances>>> Cilvia's possible tranny problem <<<post #9 approximately the first 5 lines or so... and I was wondering if anyone else had thoughts on this... would what i described happening happen if the TPS went bad...or any of the other coomponents?

Last edited by Shroomster; 10-30-2005 at 04:07 PM.
Old 10-30-2005
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
usually a bad tps (throttle position sensor) will lead to erratic idle like the rpms revving by themselves.
Old 10-30-2005
Crayons taste like purple...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
shroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to behold
that pretty much the conclusion we had come too....I also forgot there was another weird thing when I revved, there was a kind of metallic whir noise, and it also sounded like the lifters were clicking much louder than usual....

My brother thought it was the timing belt...but if that were the case the engine wouldn't turn over at all...and if the belt slipped or is loose..well I dunno it would not idle properly right?

I'm just dreading the worst...and hoping for the best...I don't want to drop a "new tranny" in a "new car" ya know?

Last edited by Shroomster; 10-30-2005 at 04:27 PM.
Old 10-30-2005
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
if the timing belt slipped a single tooth, the car would barely run, if at all.
Old 10-30-2005
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Shroomster
Throttle Position sensor....I was discussing this as a possibility in lieu of my current circumstances>>> Cilvia's possible tranny problem <<<post #9 approximately the first 5 lines or so... and I was wondering if anyone else had thoughts on this... would what i described happening happen if the TPS went bad...or any of the other coomponents?
yes a bad TPS sensor will cause tranny problems. I had the same problem. After I drove through water with my CAI a few years ago, My check engine light came on for the TPS sensor and at the time I didnt know and also at the same time the tranny wouldnt shift out of first gear. A new throttle body fixed everything.

Again this is why I always tell people, if you have a several problem and the check engine light is on, diagnosis that first as it is usually the cause of the major problem. All sensors work together so if the ECU gets a bad signal from the TPS, the ECU sends a bad signal to tranny and else where. I gurantee you a new throttle body will fix the tranny issue. Unles you have a wiring problem or ECU problem, but I suggest you run though the diagnosis.