Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Bored Throttle body

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2005
Abortion Survivor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Michalo187 is a glorious beacon of lightMichalo187 is a glorious beacon of lightMichalo187 is a glorious beacon of lightMichalo187 is a glorious beacon of lightMichalo187 is a glorious beacon of light
Bored Throttle body

I just got my bored throttly body and i installed. The idle is good until i press the gas then it flucuates just like it had when i had an air leak. I checked all the vaccuum and i don't think i have an air leak. What can i do to fix this? It goes from like 1250-1500 it sounds like **** and its embarassing other than that it works great
Old 10-05-2005
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
talk to gearbox, I believe he had the same problem when he had his done. He may know how to fix it.
Old 10-05-2005
Registered!!

dariusld is an unknown quantity at this point
I think when they bore the throttle body, they remove the TPS and if its not set right that can cause a problem.
Old 10-05-2005
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
The main problem I had was severe bogging when pressing the gas from a stop. But I think it might be because I put on a tb from manual instead of auto. I had your problem too, its solved by resetting the ecu and doing the idle learn. Its a must if you swap the tb. But I don't think a bored tb is that good for na. turbo is a different story...

to do the idle learn, warm up the car to temp by driving. Turn off, remove FI ECU fuse from box by battery. Put back. Start car, let idle 10 mins without pressing gas and without using accessories. After 10 mins, turn car off and then back on. Go drive it around at various speeds. It may take a few days to relearn the closed loop fuel maps. But the idle should be fine right after you do it.
Old 10-06-2005
Abortion Survivor

Michalo187 is a glorious beacon of lightMichalo187 is a glorious beacon of lightMichalo187 is a glorious beacon of lightMichalo187 is a glorious beacon of lightMichalo187 is a glorious beacon of light
I will try that i got it cause i am turbo it seems to have helped a lot more than i expected just the idle sucks **** and its so embarassing everyone stares at me
Old 10-07-2005
Registered!!

DaddyFatSacks is an unknown quantity at this point
Lets say you bore a throttle body, then the TPS goes, you need a all new throttle body right, cause the TPS doesnt come off.
Old 10-07-2005
Premium Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of
I have two TB's for sale if anyone is interested.
Old 10-07-2005
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
manual or auto? there is a difference. if you use maxbore.com, he actually replaces the tps rivets with screws so you CAN take it off.
Old 10-07-2005
Premium Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of
Mine were both off of a manual
Old 10-07-2005
Abortion Survivor

I just dc the FI ECU and then i started thinking does this mean my greddy emanage maps are now erased? That sucks if they are
Old 10-07-2005
"mmmBAHHHH" - vtec y0

mugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond repute
i am thinking about doing this can i expect the same problem if i do?
Old 10-07-2005
Premium Member

just do the idle learn. anytime you swap the tb it must be done. emanage may have a backup battery but i don't know
Old 10-07-2005
Abortion Survivor

Well i did it the idle is sweet now but i don't know about the emanage yet it still feels good!
Old 10-07-2005
Premium Member

awesome!
Old 10-10-2005
Abortion Survivor

It started again even after that i tried doing the idle learn procedure reving it to 3000 until the fans come on then letting go it still didn't work. I tried adjusting the idle and thats when i figured out that at 1800 and above the car idles good it won't go up and down so what should i do? It sucks have the idle that high but thats the only place it won't do that
Old 10-10-2005
Registered!!

streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
is your check engine light on at all? Either try like gearbox said and reset the ECU and do the idle relearn again, or phycially check the IAC and the TPS voltage. Or try putting on a different TB and see if the problem goes away.
Old 10-10-2005
Premium Member

first answer these questions: did maxbore.com do it? are you using the correct model (ie manual trans tb for manual car)? is the throttle cable overtight (it needs .5inches of play when you push down on the cable before it moves the lever)?
Old 10-10-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
first answer these questions: did maxbore.com do it? are you using the correct model (ie manual trans tb for manual car)? is the throttle cable overtight (it needs .5inches of play when you push down on the cable before it moves the lever)?
didnt even think of the slack in the cable. Good call.
Old 10-11-2005
Abortion Survivor

Guys sorry i am a noob the IAC sensor was the incorrect one i can't believe i hadn't noticed that and i have experience with cars. Today i just keeped trying things finally i looked at the IAC and it was purple the one on the old tb was blue i switched them and everything is good. I am so sorry for being a noob i wanted to slap myself when i saw it was that
Old 10-11-2005
Registered!!

its all good. Even the good ones make mistakes here and there.
Old 10-14-2005
Life Begins > 6800rpms

blouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to behold
that iac crap is a real bitch - mine needs to be cleaned all the time for some reason in order for the car to idle properly. good job on figuring it out.