Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Noise From Rear End

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jamesh is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Noise From Rear End

In May of this year I purchased a 2003 Honda Civic DXG 4 door sedan . For the past 4-6 weeks I have been hearing a popping sound coming from the rear end . I took my car to a Honda Dealer, who said it was the stabilizer hardware where it connects at the wheel . They subsequently replaced the stabilizer hardware . The next day , the popping noise was still there as before . I then took my car back to Honda dealer who once again looked at my car and said it was the rear struts/shocks . They subsequently replaced the rear struts/shocks . The next day, the popping noise is still there . Does anybody have the same problem and or know what this popping noise could be ?? If you were me, would you take the car back to the same dealer who has seen it twice or would you take it to another dealer . The car is still under warranty . Please help me somebody ...

J.H.
Old 09-09-2005
My SL65 rim, because a rim is all I can afford
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Jrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to all
If the car is under warranty, I would take it to the same dealer. If they can't fix it by the third time, it's a lemon. You have legal actions you can take (see the legal forum, they no better than me). Personally, I'm not sure what that would be, my guess was struts, by they already tried that. Next step should be to take a look at all the subframe parts and check for loose bolts and that sort of thing, IMO. But if the car is stock, you may want to keep taking it back and let the lemon law run it's course so you don't get stuck with a bad car. Every manufacture makes a lemon (Honda just makes less of them). Sorry I'm not much help.
Old 09-24-2005
Registered!!

jamesh is an unknown quantity at this point
Noise Problem Resolved

Great news, the Honda Dealer located and and repaired the source of the rear end noise on my 2003 Honda Civic . The noise was from a rear seat lid bar which had two very loose bolts . They lubed them and them reinstalled them - the noise is now completely gone . It only took them four visits to figure it out, and that was after replacing the rear shocks, replacing the sway bar hardware at the wheels, and lubricating the sway bar bushings twice and also removal of the sway bar as well . They finally removed the seats and found the two loose bolts on the seat lid bar . Thanks to the advice from jrfish007 and mechanic friend of mine ,to keep after the dealer, this problem has been resolved . I am a Happy Honda owner once again !!!!
Old 09-24-2005

Jrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by jamesh
Great news, the Honda Dealer located and and repaired the source of the rear end noise on my 2003 Honda Civic . The noise was from a rear seat lid bar which had two very loose bolts . They lubed them and them reinstalled them - the noise is now completely gone . It only took them four visits to figure it out, and that was after replacing the rear shocks, replacing the sway bar hardware at the wheels, and lubricating the sway bar bushings twice and also removal of the sway bar as well . They finally removed the seats and found the two loose bolts on the seat lid bar . Thanks to the advice from jrfish007 and mechanic friend of mine ,to keep after the dealer, this problem has been resolved . I am a Happy Honda owner once again !!!!

excellent... interesting problem, that's the first time I heard of that. Glad it worked out for ya.
Old 09-24-2005
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
Originally Posted by jamesh
It keeps amazing me how many people take there car to honda and honda techs seem to just throw parts at the car untill the problem is fixed. I dont think honda has very high expectations for there techs.
Old 09-24-2005

Originally Posted by streetglower
It keeps amazing me how many people take there car to honda and honda techs seem to just throw parts at the car untill the problem is fixed. I dont think honda has very high expectations for there techs.

who does?

At least me didn't pay for all that stuff... right?
Old 09-24-2005
Registered!!

streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Jrfish007
who does?

At least me didn't pay for all that stuff... right?

LOL. When I had my car at the dealer a few months ago for warranty work, my passenger side window would go down slow and up slow, so they replaced the regulator. Well I got the car back and the window still did the same thing. Well I looked at the TSB's and found one for the window rolling up and down slow. It stated that the window trim was binding and not installed right. And sure enough that was the problem. I reinstalled it and the problem went away. I also had a noise in the front end that I was to lazy to locate and they ended up replacing all 4 struts. I didnt mind, but later I found a loose bolt causing the noise. It just seems like they dont really diagnosis problems, but just replace parts. Now I understand sometimes that intermitent problems are hard to locate and maybe replacing something might help, but I dont think I have heard of many people on this site going to honda and having them locate the problem the first time. But yea your right, he didnt have to pay for any of that stuff which is good and he did get new parts out of it.
Old 09-24-2005

I bought a civic off my aunt once, she bought the car new and only had it serviced at Honda. When I opened up the valve cover to adjust the valves, someone had painted "eat me" in red fingure nail polish on the inside. I know it was done at Honda, because they where the only ones that serviced the car. After that I have no respect for Honda techs
Old 09-24-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Jrfish007
I bought a civic off my aunt once, she bought the car new and only had it serviced at Honda. When I opened up the valve cover to adjust the valves, someone had painted "eat me" in red fingure nail polish on the inside. I know it was done at Honda, because they where the only ones that serviced the car. After that I have no respect for Honda techs

thats messed up.