Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Abnormal Tire wear??

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jeremy329 is an unknown quantity at this point
Abnormal Tire wear??

Hey all, I'm new in here, and will try to make my question short.

Anyways, last year I bought a 02 Civic SIG. It had previously been in an accident (front drivers side). It has always ran beautiful, and still does, but recently I noticed that the rear tires are wearing faster than the fronts! (Stock Firestone fr690's - I know these tires are crap ). There is about 30,000 km on the tires now, and the rears seem about half gone, the fronts...maybe 1/3rd.

Any ideas what could be causing the rears to wear quicker? I have always thought that I hear a bit of a humming noise in the rear after 80km/hr??

I am going to take it into the dealer and get them to check it out...but that can get pricey. If you guys/girls have any input that would be awesome!!

Steering wheel does not shake at all.

Thanks in advance!

Jer
Old 02-23-2005
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
Sounds like you just need to rotate the tires. If both rear are evenly wearing more then the front, then they need to be rotated.

Also is the wear pattern the same all the way accross each tire in the rear?
Old 02-23-2005
Registered!!

hey, thanks for the reply. I am not sure about the wear pattern, but it does appear that both rear are wearing about the same. I agree with the rotation, but don't the fronts wear faster then the rear???

Thanks,

Jer
Old 02-24-2005
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
yes they usually do wear faster then the rear. It doesnt sound like an alignment issue because you said both rear are wearing evenly or about the same. If it was abnormal wear, then an alingment would be needed.

Have you recently had the tires rotated? Maybe you had them rotated recently and forgot and the front ones are now on the rear.
Old 02-24-2005
Registered!!

Thanks for the reply. No I am positive that they have not been rotated yet. Thats weird eh? I think I will have honda look into it and do a 4 wheel alignment. I hope it nothing major.

Thanks again!

Jer