Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Rev Limiter Kicks in at 3900rpm

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ravolutionazx has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Rev Limiter Kicks in at 3900rpm

I dont know if any of you have experienced something like this but I need help.. recently I was racing my friend at a red light.. went into 3rd gear (manual) and all ofa sudden the "check engine light" illuminates and it feels like my rev limiter is kicking in at 4k rpm.. it pushes my car down and etc.. i dont know whats wrong with this.. i cant rev higher than 4000 rpm..only way to fix it is to turn the engine off and on again.. but then it happens again.. iono.. could it be oil change problem? im 5000 miles overdue.
Old 02-20-2005
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Get the engine code read. Something is wrong with your engine, that's why it prevents you from revving hi and destroying something. Go to an auto place and have them read the code with an odbii scanner. Then match up the code and see what your problem is.
Old 02-24-2005
im stock now! T.T

Civic_RedLine will become famous soon enough
lol, thats why i change my oil frequently at 5k miles with synthetic oil.
Old 02-24-2005
DOHC i-VTEC TiMEX

aznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud of
you're probably mis-firing ... check your spark plugs
Old 02-24-2005
Autocross Junky

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
Your mostlikely Low on oil.... Civic engines + High RPM = Eat oil.

Do you have an EX? If you do, when the oil preasure drops to a certin point, the V-tec Cylinoid wont have enough preasure to kick over = Vtec doesnt engage = Check engine light Turns on = 3500(or So) RPM Revlimiter. (happened to me after a Track day... Ended up being a Full quart Low)

So Go check your oil level!!!!!!
Old 02-24-2005
I wish I was asian

cambo has a spectacular aura aboutcambo has a spectacular aura about
if your 5000 miles overdue on an oil change, then i don't think you should be racing your civic.

The time you spend racing, is the time you could do 2 oil changes. Not to mention all the damage you could be doing to your motor by not changing the oil and pushing it hard by racing.
Old 02-24-2005
Life Begins > 6800rpms

blouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Zzyzx
Your mostlikely Low on oil.... Civic engines + High RPM = Eat oil.

Do you have an EX? If you do, when the oil preasure drops to a certin point, the V-tec Cylinoid wont have enough preasure to kick over = Vtec doesnt engage = Check engine light Turns on = 3500(or So) RPM Revlimiter. (happened to me after a Track day... Ended up being a Full quart Low)

So Go check your oil level!!!!!!

What he said. Right as usual.
Old 04-15-2005
Registered!!

Theeyo is an unknown quantity at this point
happend to me today...i got on the interstate and couldnt go past like 40-45