Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Automatic shifting into ?3rd? revs..

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2005
Boredom causes changes ;)
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Karumba has a spectacular aura aboutKarumba has a spectacular aura aboutKarumba has a spectacular aura about
Automatic shifting into ?3rd? revs..

I've noticed a problem on my car within the past couple of weeks and I'm starting to wonder if it is a transmission/gear problem or something else.

The problem occurs when the car tries to put itself into 3rd gear (or what I believe is 3rd gear). At around 60km/h (roughly 40mph) when leaving the last gear the car tends to lag/stall and let the revs go a bit then catches again as it finally shifts. The revs tend to climb about 2000 (3k to 5k) usually before it changes - yes foot is still pressing the gas (usually not that hard).

My question arises is the fact that one friend believes it might be the crank shaft pulley. I know I am out of any sort of warranty period so I don't want to do needless repairs/inspections if its not necessary. The transmission fluid was changed around 25k kms ago (approx. 16k miles) so don't know if it needs changing already .. Anyways any help would be appreciated.
Old 01-10-2005
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
flotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to behold
Could be as simple as being low on tranny fluid, becareful when checking it and make sure you do it properly. Overfilling or underfilling is bad. Or, it could be worse like your clutch packs or torque converter are bad. Doubt it would be crankshaft pulley, thats not anywhere near the tranny. All the crankshaft pulley does does is spin the accessories..
Old 01-10-2005
Registered!!

HappyGilmore is an unknown quantity at this point
Do the cheapest repair first. Change your tranny fluid and see if problem is solved. I changed my tranny fluid every 15k and boy...what a difference it makes when switching gears. And remember to use Honda transmission fluid.
Old 01-10-2005
Premium Member

tinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nice
Originally Posted by HappyGilmore
Do the cheapest repair first. Change your tranny fluid and see if problem is solved. I changed my tranny fluid every 15k and boy...what a difference it makes when switching gears. And remember to use Honda transmission fluid.
YES!
Old 02-05-2005
Registered!!

cargeek68 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by janlop
I've noticed a problem on my car within the past couple of weeks and I'm starting to wonder if it is a transmission/gear problem or something else.

The problem occurs when the car tries to put itself into 3rd gear (or what I believe is 3rd gear). At around 60km/h (roughly 40mph) when leaving the last gear the car tends to lag/stall and let the revs go a bit then catches again as it finally shifts. The revs tend to climb about 2000 (3k to 5k) usually before it changes - yes foot is still pressing the gas (usually not that hard).

My question arises is the fact that one friend believes it might be the crank shaft pulley. I know I am out of any sort of warranty period so I don't want to do needless repairs/inspections if its not necessary. The transmission fluid was changed around 25k kms ago (approx. 16k miles) so don't know if it needs changing already .. Anyways any help would be appreciated.
so, is your car already fixed? i've been experiencing the same think lately on my 01 ex
Old 02-05-2005
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
My car bogs when after switching to third unless I have it on d3. Have you tried accelerating fast through the gears to see if it still does it?