Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Problem With Oil Pan

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2004
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
Arrow Problem With Oil Pan

Ok, here is my dilema, about 2 weeks ago, I changed my oil and the oil pan drain hole threads got stripped, so I threaded in a bigger size drain bolt and everything went fine. Now here is my next problem, when I jacked my car up yesterday at school, there is still oil leaking from the drain bolt. And the drain bolt is on there nice and tight, to 17 ft. lbs. Now I called several shops this morning and some told me they might be able to fix it, but most answers I got were that I needed to replace the oil pan. Is there anything I can do to correct this problem, like I already said, I have a bigger bolt in there now, but it is still leaking oil from the plug, and the plug does have a washer on there.
Old 10-16-2004
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
flotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to behold
Maybe try adding in a thin rubber washer in front of the metal one?
Old 10-16-2004
Registered!!

streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
Originally Posted by flotsamm
Maybe try adding in a thin rubber washer in front of the metal one?
I have a rubber one on there now, someone told me to use a metal one instead because the rubber ones tend to bunch up. Any other thoughts?
Old 10-16-2004

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Titleist71 can only hope to improve
use an aluminum crush washer, tiny tiny amout of silicone on the threads (ask first, not sure) or thread sealant that is metallic.....just throwing out ideas.
Old 10-17-2004
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
flotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to behold
Try all of the above and maybe use some plumbers tape to. Not sure if you could tap out new threads.. its possible I suppose. If you do, just remember to run a couple of quarters of oil through engine so it can flush out any metal shavings.

When I was young and stupid, I used a rubber freeze plug for my drain bolt since I was in the same situation as you. I dont recommend it..
Old 10-17-2004
Registered!!

Originally Posted by flotsamm
Try all of the above and maybe use some plumbers tape to. Not sure if you could tap out new threads.. its possible I suppose. If you do, just remember to run a couple of quarters of oil through engine so it can flush out any metal shavings.

When I was young and stupid, I used a rubber freeze plug for my drain bolt since I was in the same situation as you. I dont recommend it..
When I threaded the new plug in, I did have all those metal shavings, but I just wiped them off really good and just filled the 3.7 quarts of oil. I am assuming they will just go into the filter, but I think it will be ok. I didnt even bother with running a few quarts through there to get them out.