Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

stupid gas gauge...

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
858racer is an unknown quantity at this point
stupid gas gauge...

last night i washed my 04 civic on my driveway which is kinda inclined...i swear i had half of half and empty...when i started my car it just went to the wayy bottom mark and the gas light came on this has happened to me twice already...anyone know whats wrong with it???
Old 09-09-2004
Im the man in the box

Ledbelly has much to be proud ofLedbelly has much to be proud ofLedbelly has much to be proud ofLedbelly has much to be proud ofLedbelly has much to be proud ofLedbelly has much to be proud ofLedbelly has much to be proud ofLedbelly has much to be proud ofLedbelly has much to be proud ofLedbelly has much to be proud ofLedbelly has much to be proud of
maybe someone stole your gas
Old 09-09-2004
Registered!!

XxSoVeReiGNxX is just really niceXxSoVeReiGNxX is just really niceXxSoVeReiGNxX is just really niceXxSoVeReiGNxX is just really niceXxSoVeReiGNxX is just really nice
no worries man. my car does that too. it most likely is because of the position of the car & gas in the tank.

I always check the gauge even though I have a sense of gas I've used up since last fill up. Sometimes I'll notice that I had more gas in morning than I did the night before when parking my car. During my commute it changes too, in stop&go traffic.

It's not a huge difference, just enough to notice. especially when it was below a tickmark and a few blocks later it's above. Doesn't bother me enough to trouble myself at the dealership

I just fill up the tank it it reaches 3/4 of the way down the gauge.

Last edited by XxSoVeReiGNxX; 09-09-2004 at 02:36 PM.
Old 09-09-2004
Registered!!

HappyGilmore is an unknown quantity at this point
inaccurate gas gauge. Since the car is on an incline, it will read lower than on actual level.

If you don't understand how the floater works, here is a simple explanation. Mark empty, half and full on a bottle gallon of water. Fill'er up half way. Then tilt the bottle on 45 deg. angle. What do you get you asked? Less than or more than half depending on if you are on an uphill or downhill.
Old 09-09-2004
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
Originally Posted by 858racer
last night i washed my 04 civic on my driveway which is kinda inclined...i swear i had half of half and empty...when i started my car it just went to the wayy bottom mark and the gas light came on this has happened to me twice already...anyone know whats wrong with it???
What does half of half and empty mean? But yea, if you are on a incline it will do that, just move your car to a straight surface, turn it off, and turn it back on, it should be fine.
Old 09-09-2004
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Gas gauge isn't very good. Mine used to read empty with the light on, but there was still 5 gallons in the tank. Bad fuel sender. But still it's not very accurate.
Old 09-10-2004
Registered!!

when i put my car back onto a level surface the gas light still stays on and needle does not move...so i had to put gas.. then it worked fine?
Old 09-10-2004
Registered!!

streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
Originally Posted by 858racer
when i put my car back onto a level surface the gas light still stays on and needle does not move...so i had to put gas.. then it worked fine?
well then you were just close to empty. Do you remember how much gas you pumped?
Old 09-10-2004
Registered!!

i dont remember how much i pumped...for some reason im gettin really bad gas mileage
Old 09-10-2004
Registered!!

Well if you have an 04, depending on how many miles you have, your engine probably isnt broken in yet. Give it some time and your mileage should go up.
Old 09-10-2004
www.8thgencivics.com

nikoscivicex is an unknown quantity at this point
I have an 01 and i dont get good gas mileage either! maybe 300 to a tank.
Old 10-07-2004
unique conformist

dannn will become famous soon enough
my 01 sedan does this too
it said i had 1/4th of tank left and when i went to fill up only 3 gallons went in
Old 10-07-2004
Registered!!

HappyGilmore is an unknown quantity at this point
Our gas gauge is not very accurate. Start using your Odometer for a change. You can get a better sense how much gas is really left in the tank. I get 350-400 for a tank. So if you registered 300 miles on the odometer, you have about 2.5 gallons, give or take, left.
Old 10-07-2004
Registered!!

PCaly2112 is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah, the gas guage has some problems. While driving mine will drop to empty even if it was just filled. The light will go on and then 5-10 minutes later it will go back up. Its done this many times, but Honda won't do anything since its not something they can repeat and see for themselves.
Old 10-07-2004