Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Engine whistling sound

Old 08-09-2004
MmmMMm.. I smell boost!
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
joski will become famous soon enough
Exclamation Engine whistling sound

I'm not so sure what it is but when I'm in my lower gears, my engine makes a subtle whistling sound.. I have no engine mods yet so it's nothing like that. It's like when I'm in first or second and when I clutch in/clutch out a bit.. It honestly sounds kinda cool but I don't know if it's anything to worry about or not.. Has this happened to anyone else? Thanks in advance!
Old 08-09-2004
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
It's happened to me before and I have an auto with a couple internal engine mods. I've only noticed it sometimes. People have said it could be alternator whine (if it makes the noise when stereo is on), alternator bearings going bad (if stereo is off when the noise is heard), or even a fuel pump going bad. Best thing is just wait it out. If something breaks, take it in for warranty work.
Old 08-09-2004
MmmMMm.. I smell boost!

Yea I think my car may be far from warranty.. It doesn't sound like anything that's harmful, that's the thing. I've heard a bad bearing in other cars and it doesn't really squeal or anything.. It sounds like a quiet whistle caused by air or something.
Old 08-09-2004
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
I know the sound you have. Does it also increase in pitch when the rpms go up?
Old 08-09-2004
MmmMMm.. I smell boost!

Nope.. The sound stays the same. It doesn't stay on for very long, like, it's very inconsistant.
Old 08-09-2004
This cost me 1500 points

beastiek2 is an unknown quantity at this point
I think I know what you mean, If thats the same thing I had it dies down after a like 5-7 min of driving.
Old 08-10-2004
Registered!!

KYjerry414 is an unknown quantity at this point
I have that same problem. I heard it and been driving like that for 3 weeks now and tonight my transmission finally went out. I have an automatic (2001 EX) and my car doenst go foward or reverse. I don't know if that was caused by the whining noise. The whiney noise did get louder as my RPMs got higher. Anyone else have trouble with their transmissions slipping whent he car shifts into next gear? I really didn't notice it until i heard the whiney noise.
Old 08-19-2004
Registered!!

btwracing is an unknown quantity at this point
I got that sometimes. The noise used to come when accelerating with the A/C on. I added some tranny fluid because it was slightly low and the problem went away.

btwracing
Old 08-19-2004
Registered!!

KYjerry414 is an unknown quantity at this point
I don't know if i'm right. But the whistling noise can be coming from the torque converter in the transmission. I'm getting my car back soon and the transmission shop told me my torque converter was busted up and that was causing the whistling noise. Before my transmission went out, it would whistle at idle when i first start up. When i accelerate the noise would get louder and about 10 mins of driving or so the noise would go away. You guys should look into the whistling noise. It can lead to a problem.
Old 08-19-2004
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
VTEC01EX is an unknown quantity at this point
My car - bone stock EX 5 speed - also makes this noise. I've noticed it tend to be more audible early in the morning, usually in the middle of the day I don't hear it.
Old 08-20-2004
Super Hoser

turboslug will become famous soon enoughturboslug will become famous soon enough
if my engine is off but the ignition is turned to accessory or on, and i open the hood, i can hear a high pitch electricity sound coming from the engine bay...

dont think that's what you're talking about though
Old 08-26-2004
Formerly 2blu

Nick will become famous soon enoughNick will become famous soon enough
I dont know if its the same thing butthe other day i was sitting in a parking lot with my ac and radio on, and my car went woooo. It was like a whistle. it did it twice but went away.