Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Guys, I Need Help Quick!

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HondaBrad01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Guys, I Need Help Quick!

Ok, Im gonna try my best to NOT sound like a 30yr old housewife taking her minivan into the dealer and describe a problem......but I really dont have a clue as to whats going on with my car, so bear with me.

Ive had my car for about three months now. And soon after I got it, I put an Injen CAI/Kamikaze Header/Greddy EVO2 exhaust on it. So I never drove the car in stock form in the rain. Well here we are deep into late spring/early summer and the rain is plentiful here in the midwest.

My Civic is NOT liking it at all.

Heres the problem the best I could explain it:whenever its raining and Im behind somebody on the road, or if theres just A LOT of rain....the car starts acting ill. It sorta feels as if the motor starts running kinda rough, but theres no loss of power really. It feels like the tranny is shaking because I can feel it through the shifter (auto tranny). When I go to slow down, you can really tell somethins rough, because it feels like I have urethane motor mounts.....the car starts vibrating some.

So.......is it that I need an AEM bypass valve for the intake, a cover for the filter, or is there something electrical thats getting wet? I thought that if water would get sucked into the motor it would just lock up and die?

Has this been a regular problem with CAI's on the Civics?

Any help would be greatly appreciated......

-Brad
Old 06-15-2004
Registered!!

HappyGilmore is an unknown quantity at this point
Are you still using the stock tire? Firestone? Those tires handle very poorly in rain and snow.
Old 06-15-2004
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

7thGENDMAN is on a distinguished road
Well first of all seeing that you changed the header and exhaust, I would check there first. Look under the car from the passenger side and check the exhaust. It comes down from the header and crosses under the right frame rail. This is where mine is banging pretty bad. Usually when your exhaust get hot it expands, coefficiant of thermal expansion, this makes the pipes expand alittle and also tighten up at the joints, or where the header meets the down pipe, down pipe meets the mid pipe and so on. As you get in the rain with the hot exhaust, it tends to expand and contract and as it cools from the water and then these joints tend to loosen and the pipes start to vibrate. This will make the mid pipe rattle against the frame making it sound like the car is going to fall apart. The frame rail runs right under the passenger seat, making the shifter and everything inside rattle also. I have an appointment at merlins muffler and they are going to rebend some of the pipes. Making the clearance around the frame rail much greater. And NO MORE RATTLE. Can you make it rattle just by turning the wheel all the way to the left and stepping on the gas??? Mine happens to rattle even if its not raining. Just have to get the pipes adjusted. Let me know if this helps.
Old 06-15-2004
Registered!!

HappyGilmore- Lets keep the thread about the topic, ok? And by the way, no...I dont ride on the stock tires. I have 17" Racing Hart wheels with Kumho Ecsta 711's.

7thGENDMAN- I suppose that could be the problem. Ill take a look and see how close it is. Ill also try your little test to see if its hits even with no rain. Thanks for the reply.

Anybody else got any ideas?

Thanks again....
Old 06-15-2004
Banned by Admin

Master should not be trustedMaster should not be trustedMaster should not be trustedMaster should not be trustedMaster should not be trustedMaster should not be trusted
you do know that when it rains when water gets on your exhaust piping it rattles and changes the noise. If thats what it is it happens to every 7thgen with exhaust.
Old 06-16-2004
Registered!!

Ok, so I apologize for not doing my homework and looking it up.

Dang, I wasnt aware of this.

Why the heck does it make such a difference on the Civic's???? Ive had two other cars with catbacks (stainless steel) and it didnt affect anything.

Old 06-16-2004
Banned by Admin

Master should not be trustedMaster should not be trustedMaster should not be trustedMaster should not be trustedMaster should not be trustedMaster should not be trusted
It is just the way our piping is situated I guess.