Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

1997 HX oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rich is an unknown quantity at this point
1997 HX oil leak

My girlfriend's 97 Civic HX is using oil like crazy. For the last month on average its using at least one quart per week.

I'm baffled by this. Its only got 83K on it and is in pretty good condition. I also have taken it to two mechanics who can't figure out how its using oil. It doesn't drip any, the plugs look perfect, there isn't any in the antifreeze, and it isn't smoking at all. There is no evidence of it coming out of the pipe even at high speeds.

Any ideas? All I can think of is maybe it burned up the rings.
Old 06-14-2004
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nice
Check the front oil seal. It won't leak until the car is running and driving. The front seal often leaks, and is behind the crank pulley/timing belt. If it's leaking, you will find a drop of oil on the timing belt cover. If that's dry, maybe the rings, but it would smoke blue when you step on it. I somehow doubt it's the rings. You'd see oil in the intake from the PVC valve.