Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

car starting probs

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2004
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
car starting probs

Hey guys,

Recently after I just bought an optima yellow top, the car is having trouble starting on a few occasions. Sometimes it would crank 5-10 times and not start. Then I try again and it sounds like it's stalling before finally starting up. I even turn to the on position for a few secs to build fuel pressure.

Do you think it's the battery? I'm gonna test it. Also, my stock airbox is loose. A couple screws won't tighten down. Would that be the problem?
Old 05-17-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ronin is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm guessing that it is the battery, since the problem started right after you switched. Did you verifiy if everything was connected back properly? Next time you get an oil change, ask them to test the battery for you ... or you can do it yourself with the right instrument. Takes 30 seconds.

A slightly loose airbox probably won't be a problem, but it may cause annoying rattles in your engine compartment.
Old 05-18-2004
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Well the voltmeter reads around 12.5V when the car is on, but not started. And now I do remember this happening with the stock battery every so often. Some days it will start strong, then other days it will barely turn over. Is it fuel system related? fuel pump maybe?
Old 05-18-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HappyGilmore is an unknown quantity at this point
It could be your ECU code error. I used to have the same problem when cranking. After I took it to the dealer, their labor description says "wrong input code, re-inserted code". The car is been rock hard even on average cold days. Unless its really below zero, then it would be hard to turn over. Which is normal for all cars because of aluminum being shrinked.