Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

13.8 Gallons Of Gas!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Huh_Oh Sh*t! is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation 13.8 Gallons Of Gas!!!

okay earlier today my gas light went off so i decided to filler up at a nearby Shell Gas Station. as i was pumping it full, the nozzle didn't stop pumping at around 11 gals. or $20. so i decide to let it run cuz the nozzle is suppose to stop filling when the tank is full. so when it stops pumping the meter EXACTLY says 13.815 gallons of mid-grade gas. the total was $29!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! can any1 tell me what exactly happened or went wrong???? i let the car sit in the garage for a few hours to see if anything was leaking... and good thing that there wasn't any type of leakage. please i am concerned with this matter and i doubt callin the dealer would be helpful, but just a waste of time. Thanks!!!!
Old 09-07-2003
Registered!!

ITDawwg2001 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 13.8 Gallons Of Gas!!!

Originally posted by Huh_Oh Sh*t!
okay earlier today my gas light went off so i decided to filler up at a nearby Shell Gas Station. as i was pumping it full, the nozzle didn't stop pumping at around 11 gals. or $20. so i decide to let it run cuz the nozzle is suppose to stop filling when the tank is full. so when it stops pumping the meter EXACTLY says 13.815 gallons of mid-grade gas. the total was $29!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! can any1 tell me what exactly happened or went wrong???? i let the car sit in the garage for a few hours to see if anything was leaking... and good thing that there wasn't any type of leakage. please i am concerned with this matter and i doubt callin the dealer would be helpful, but just a waste of time. Thanks!!!!
Ummm...according to the official Honda web site, our cars only hold 13.2 gallons. Hmmm...that is very interesting.

I am not sure why that is possible man. I would ask your dealer on that one.
Old 09-07-2003
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Mr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to all
maybe you got a bigger tank or something .....or maybe it was just that empty!! ....or maybe the pump thought it was pumping gas but it actually wasn't and it said 13.8 ....or maybe...i'm thru hahahaha
Old 09-07-2003
Just Be

MangoEX should not be trusted
Maybe the gas station is rigged and are ripping people off.
Old 09-07-2003
Registered!!

AdamYYZ is an unknown quantity at this point
I dunno man, thats alot. My 02' SI coupe has never seen more than 40 Litres. What you put in is closer to 50.
Old 09-07-2003
Registered!!

Diemos is an unknown quantity at this point
I think the gas station is ripping people off, I suggest going there agian when you are almost empty. Then get a reciept, if they ripped you off, you can sue them for 1000X what they ripped you off for, and court cost and legal fees.
Old 09-07-2003
Registered!!

bluericeburna2k2 will become famous soon enoughbluericeburna2k2 will become famous soon enough
the gas pump is prolly wrong. i know the one near my house is ripping ppl off. it rips me off around 50 cents at a time
Old 09-08-2003
Registered!!

i dont think the pump ripped me off because i have already put 50miles ever since and the gas gauge did not move one tick lower. by now it should be near the 3/4 mark (95% city driving). it still point a little past the full line. to think of it i would've had about 15 gallons in the tank becuase i filled up right when the gas light went on and we usually have about a gallon left until the tank is completely dry. thanks for the replies!
Old 09-08-2003
Registered!!

CiViCLiZeD714 is an unknown quantity at this point
i agree with the people that are saying that the gas station is probably ripping you off...these bastards are going crazy on their customers
Old 09-08-2003
Registered!!

HappyGilmore is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by Huh_Oh Sh*t!
i dont think the pump ripped me off because i have already put 50miles ever since and the gas gauge did not move one tick lower. by now it should be near the 3/4 mark (95% city driving). it still point a little past the full line. to think of it i would've had about 15 gallons in the tank becuase i filled up right when the gas light went on and we usually have about a gallon left until the tank is completely dry. thanks for the replies!
it doesn't make sense to me. You said that when the gas light comes on, you usually have about 1 gal. left... So you fill her up to 13.815 gal... reality check.

A) Your civic can't have a 14.815 tank size.
B) You might have a faulty gas gauge.
C) Your gas station might be rigged.
D) Both B & C.
E) None of the above. Write back to us next time when you get gas at a different gas station.
Old 09-08-2003
YS
Registered!!

YS is an unknown quantity at this point
it happened to me too ......... last month i filled my tank @ 13.565 (Chevron) and my gauge is NOT even "E" yet ........... a week later i filled my tank @ 13.650 (Mobil) and same thing the gauge is not even "E" .............
Old 09-08-2003
Registered!!

MMILX is an unknown quantity at this point
I wouldn't be surprised if the station's pump meter is rigged.

These days, with the way gas prices are, I'd fully expect that. A while back, the state of Oregon found out that BP was overcharing their customers and said they'd look into prosecuting it. The state ended up doing nothing.

I understand that prices fluctuate quite a bit here and there due to market conditions. I do think its interesting how the pipeline broke in AZ and the NE had a blackout close to the labor day holiday

Anyways, I'd bet money your tank isn't bigger than 13.2 Even if you ran over something, odds are you'd shrink the tank

Heck, most people don't even look at anything but the dollar amount so its probably pretty easy to get away with it. I'm the **** type so I actually take the receipt and calculate my mpg before I leave the station.

Best of luck in finding out whats going on. Also, if your car never took more than 13.2 in the past, its just more evidence of a station ripping you off.
Old 09-09-2003
Registered!!

i am fully aware about being ripped off... but look at this, i have put 80miles on the fresh tank n the gas gauge still reads a little after the full line. is there a reserve tank in our cars? to where the over-pumped fuel goes to?
Old 09-09-2003
Registered!!

CiViCLiZeD714 is an unknown quantity at this point
i dont think there is a reserve tank...and about your needle still being above the F line, my car does that a lot....the needle wont move but all of a sudden it will drop down to half way...i'm just like WTFFFFFFFFFFFF...lets see what happens...keep us updated
Old 09-09-2003
Registered!!

Green Civic is an unknown quantity at this point
Just keep a watch on your milage. The tank is a 13.2 gal and I think there is a 1 gal reserve. Im not sure. I feel you about the needle with the big jump. Mine does that to me.
Old 09-09-2003
Registered!!

Originally posted by Green Civic
Just keep a watch on your milage. The tank is a 13.2 gal and I think there is a 1 gal reserve. Im not sure. I feel you about the needle with the big jump. Mine does that to me.
Our Civics are 13.2 Gal. (50L) tank size. There is NO RESERVE.
Old 09-09-2003
Registered!!

JDog2001CivicEX is an unknown quantity at this point
You do have to include the extra capcity running up the filler neck too.

And yes I once filled up at a gas station with 13.94 gallons.
Old 09-09-2003
Registered!!

I used to do that when I lived in Texas. Now that I live in one of 2 states where there is no self service gas (Oregon, the other being NJ) I really don't have a say. The pump jockies come to your car after the thing has clicked once. Sometimes they might get you to the nearest dollar if they can, some just stop at the first click and its done for.

Man, I sure wish I had a choice on pumping my own gas. It would save some money, and wouldnt harm anyone. Too bad those politicians cant get it passed...

Oh well, guess its one of those premiums for the pretty scenery

Originally posted by JDog2001CivicEX
You do have to include the extra capcity running up the filler neck too.

And yes I once filled up at a gas station with 13.94 gallons.
Old 09-09-2003
formerly 2k1CivicRacer

S2KREY is on a distinguished road
well i better start watch how many gallon i put all i do is watch the money and thats it so next time i fill watching for 13.2
Old 09-09-2003
Registered!!

Green Civic is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by HappyGilmore
Our Civics are 13.2 Gal. (50L) tank size. There is NO RESERVE.
Sorry, no reserve tank. But you do have to look into the hoses that get the gas to the engine. thats almost a gallon right there. Cutting it pretty close though.
Old 09-10-2003
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
damn, $29 for a tank of gas that is expensive, if I put in about 12 gallons of gas I pay about $16-17, gas in houston is about $1.57 a gallon, what is the price where all of you live?
Old 09-10-2003
Super Hoser

turboslug will become famous soon enoughturboslug will become famous soon enough
i've noticed the Esso near my house states on the pump that the pump is calibrated to be accurate at 16degrees celsius
Old 09-10-2003
Registered!!

gas in chicago is daymn expensive $2.09 for premium at some places. the highest i've seen a few days ago was $2.15. i wish they were lower.... ***update: 130miles to the tank and the needle is still at the full line***
Old 09-10-2003
Registered!!

You may have a faulty gas gauge, needs an updated software from the dealer, or the fuel sending unit. Very soon, your gas gauge will fall from Full to 3/4 in less than a few miles.

It could be related to this TSB:

http://www.nhtsa.com/TSBScans/sb624366.pdf

Look at this link for similar problem:
http://www.7thgencivic.com/forums/sh...ighlight=float

Last edited by HappyGilmore; 09-10-2003 at 12:10 PM.
Old 09-11-2003
Registered!!

mcochran is an unknown quantity at this point
For what it's worth, I owned a '94 Integra for a while (same 13.2 gallon tank), and a couple times I put in more than 13.2 gal. Once I put in 14.0 gallons. If the tank itself holds 13.2, then the .6-.8 extra gallons of gas could be being stored in the plumbing that connects the gas nozzle to the tank, fuel lines, etc. In other words, if you're REALLY low on gas, it does make sense that you could put more than 13.2 in your car.
Old 09-11-2003
Registered!!

i was not really low on gas... the gas light turned on and a few mins later i pumped gas... so i woulda had a lil more that 1gal left + the 13.815 gals i pumped...
Old 09-11-2003
Registered!!

streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
how could a faulty gas gauges have anything to do with the pump saying 13.815 gallons?
Old 09-11-2003
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
The other thing is that gasoline is very volume/temperature dependent. If it was hot out, you always get less gas than what that thing says. Its just pumping at some flow rate, through a given diameter hose. It doesn't care about the density of the gasoline running through it. The trigger in the pump gun that stops the flow goes off when it gets submerged, so they're totally unrelated. If it was 90+ degrees outside and the pump is calibrated for the density of gas at 60, then its going to say it pumped a lot more than it actually did. You make it back in the winter when you get more for your money.
Old 09-11-2003
Registered!!

Originally posted by streetglower
how could a faulty gas gauges have anything to do with the pump saying 13.815 gallons?
I am saying that his fuel gauge might say Full but actually it's inaccurate.
Old 09-11-2003
Registered!!

Which also suggests that it would be better to fuel in the nighttime hours when it is cooler outside

Originally posted by Boilermaker1
The other thing is that gasoline is very volume/temperature dependent. If it was hot out, you always get less gas than what that thing says. Its just pumping at some flow rate, through a given diameter hose. It doesn't care about the density of the gasoline running through it. The trigger in the pump gun that stops the flow goes off when it gets submerged, so they're totally unrelated. If it was 90+ degrees outside and the pump is calibrated for the density of gas at 60, then its going to say it pumped a lot more than it actually did. You make it back in the winter when you get more for your money.

Quick Reply: 13.8 Gallons Of Gas!!!